SRAM 10spd chain and shimano Utegra jockey, are they 100% compatible?

SwissVan

On my road bike I've got a FSA Compact crank, SRAM red 10 spd Cassette, Shimano Ultegra jockey, derailleur, levers and Shimano HG chain.

For some reason the chain makes a "louder than normal" noise

like a RRRRRRRRRR instead of a whirrrrr (kind of like if the chain was rubbing on a sprocket like when you ride with a extreme cross chain) when in certain sprocket selections (Usually when on the 2 or 3 sprockets towards the center of the cassette).

Other than this the gears work perfectly, no slipping and gear changes first time in both directions.

As the cassette gearing option I have is not available from shimano I want to stick with the SRAM cassette but replace the shimano chain with a SRAM chain in the hope that the 2 SRAMS might work a bit quieter together.

So the question is:

Is a SRAM 10spd chain and shimano Utegra jockey 100% compatible?

Personally I don't see why not but want to make sure before I order a new chain

Its 99% compatible, but the SRAM RED clusters are very noisy.

Edited by JA-Q001

Its 99% compatible, but the SRAM RED clusters are very noisy.

I noticed...but why just the red cluster?

Its the dome of the rear combined gears, it works as an amplifier for drive-train noise.

Hmm so I pay more to hear more.....

Jip, basically, That's why a lot of Pro's rather use the Dura-Ace Cassette, as its only slightly heavier, but a lot quieter. But it also amplifies your freewheel ratcheting a lot, and I like that part.

The 10 speed Sram chains are compatible with the Ultegra derailleur. I am not sure if the uni directional Shimano chain will be noisy on a Sram cluster if fitted the wrong way around, just check that the writing on the chain faces outward before you go to the expense of a new chain.

The 10 speed Sram chains are compatible with the Ultegra derailleur. I am not sure if the uni directional Shimano chain will be noisy on a Sram cluster if fitted the wrong way around, just check that the writing on the chain faces outward before you go to the expense of a new chain.

Thanks will do, but I think JA-Q001 has hit the nail on the head wrt to the SRAM red being noisy by construction design.

Looks like if I want the same gearing option that I will have to try either the newer XG-1090 or the stock standard PG1070, there is quite a price difference...SRAM she are not cheap

Found this on the Competitive cyclist website:

"The original SRAM Red Cassette was an exceptional drivetrain component with only one downside: when installed on a deep carbon wheel or ridden amongst a group of riders on Red, it created a resounding cacophony that drowned out even the most concentrated thoughts. There was nothing inherently wrong with this cassette, known officially as the OG-1090. It was lightweight, it shifted crisply, and was resistant to wear over the course of prolonged use. But it was noisy due to its Powerdome construction, which acted like a phonograph that reverberated drivetrain clatter from the freehub and chain. And thus the new SRAM Red XG-1090 X-Dome Cassette was born"

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/sram-red-xg-1090-x-dome-cassette

It's not compatible!

Your friends will laugh at you for mixing and matching! You will never look like a pro!

Don't do it!

It's not compatible!

Your friends will laugh at you for mixing and matching! You will never look like a pro!

Don't do it!

No worries there patches....with my Campagnolo leg warmers that's never going to happen.

Garmin Sharp actually spec their bikes with Red, but they use the 1070 cassette as it's quieter.

No worries there patches....with my Campagnolo leg warmers that's never going to happen.

:eek:

Please tell me you only wear such things to bed, in the privacy of your own home (like I do with my Nedbank 360Life PJs). :ph34r:

:eek:

Please tell me you only wear such things to bed, in the privacy of your own home (like I do with my Nedbank 360Life PJs). :ph34r:

Nope sorry, I like them so much I wear them all day every day...even shower with them.