Momsen AL651(or similar new bike) advice

krepunk

Another help me choose my first MTB thread... :rolleyes:

I've been looking at different bikes for a few weeks now and went into a nearby bike shop on Saturday where they showed me the AL651, looks like a great bike but with me being completely new to the sport and having no clue about the different components I'm still not sure if it's the absolute best *new* bike I can get for the money.

The shop is offering what appears to be a good price of about R6000 for the bike.

Other bikes I've been looking at are:

Momsen AL126

Silverback Slade 3

Silverback Spectra 1/2

And a few Meridas in the R5k-R9k price bracket

So I'm willing to pay a bit more if it means getting a much better bike but if this is the best at the price then why spend more?

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

agree with mr Winter there, get yourself a 2nd hand bike first and get a feel of the bike in person (if you're just started to ride).

Thanks for the replies.

It's the AL651 that they showed me. I have contacted the seller of the AL126 on gumtree so will see if it's still available.

The 651 is a 650b or as some would call it a 27.5" where as the 126 is a 26" bike, there for I would go for the 651 just cause it's a bigger wheel which provides a softer ride than the 26" (even though it would be minimal). 2014 is also going to be a year that many brands launch their 650b range and it's going to become more popular so you'll be more likely to sell it at a better price than the 26"

Just my 5c

Edited by Wimmas

No reply from the dude selling the AL126 on Gumtree. I am leaning more and more towards the AL651 now.

• 7 months later...

I would be interested to hear if you bought the AL651 and how you are finding it? I am seriously considering buying one and so are looking for reviews.

• 3 months later...

I have had a Al651 now for 2 months and put it through some hard times , duathlons , some very spirited riding through most of the local trails and it is an awesome ride and great value for money ! Go Momsen !!! The only downside is the suntour fork that can be swapped out at a later stage when that fork is not longer capable enough for you.

• 1 year later...

I am looking for a new hardtail,I have an aspect 640 with a rockshox rebba RL,it weights around about 9kg. Is the momsen an upgrade or downgrade?

Hey

Have you checked out Cycle Lab yet ? Got my wife a Scott Contessa Scale 720 for R 10k which runs Deore components. Really nice bike. The also have 730 models for about R8k and a few Meridas in that price range. The LA651 is cheaper but also heavier and not that well specced. Not hating as i ride their 129, just saying.