Converting to 1 by 10 on MTB

RicovdM

One BIG thing would be if Shimano brings out a 11-42 10 speed cassette. That would sell like hotcakes. I will be the first in line.

As I wrote earlier,making my own 11-41 cassette.

Will keep you updated. Can I sign you up for one? ;-)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

um there full time job is to ride all day for a living, I should hope so..

Don't reckon many mere recreational mortals would manage a 1x10 on Epic ?

Standard 1 x 10 many wouldn't (Though I know plenty who do/have done it on Singlespeeds)

But 1 x 11 (XX1) shouldn't be a problem. (can also include the custom 10 speed cassettes, i.e. General Lee, etc here to a certain degree)

Consider this setup

39/26 crankset (quite common )

11/34 cassette (yes I would put an 11/36 but lot's still put an 11/34 on)

top end ratio 39/11 = 3.55

low end ratio 26/34 = 0.76

now for XX1

32 tooth crankset

10/42 cassette

top end 32/10 = 3.2 (lower than the other setup but not bad, 10% difference)

low end 32/42 = 0.76 (Shock! Horror! It's the same!!!)

if only I had their legs and 'genes' .....

Yeah, Kulhavy had a 36 tooth up front as opposed to the 32 tooth most people would use.

I went from a 3x9 (26") XC to a 1x10 (650b) AM and I really enjoy it.

I did all my pre-sani riding on a 36t chainring (incl the Karkloof races - could ride all the hills) and for sani I went to a 32t and it was more than sufficient (for the climbing, I am not a good climber. I did loose out on some of the downhills though).

Most of the time now I have a 34t on and really it doesnt feel like I need more. (I guess for a 29" I would use a 33t and for a 26" a 35t - or just start real training and use that 36t again :w00t:)

I was also thinking of converting to 1x10 running a 11 - 40t casette. Latest What MTB Mag rated the general lee adapter 2 out of 5 due to reliability issues though??? Anyone had same experience?

Mag rated XX1 and KCNC 11-38 cassette highly (but expensive options).

I bought a Flash last week from Jules with a 1x10 on (11-36 with 32 upfront). I have done 3 rides on it so far and i am loving the 1x10. I have done a lot of hills training on those rides and i don't think i will look back. It's all about knowing your riding style and what works for you. I do also think that gears are a mental thing and you work with what you have but that's a whole new discussion.

Definitely go 11-36 on rear cassette or bigger, but don't go smaller. I am not sure how flexible the front chainring is in terms of sizing but perhaps get 3 different sizes for different terrains you ride.

You are right there.

Sometimes you wish for a easier ratio than a 24 chainring and a 11-36 cassette.

You saying that while you have a pic of the great Chuck Norris as your avatar???

I heard he did the Epic with a 52 single front and a 25 - 11 road cassette at the rear

HTFU man :whistling: :whistling:

You saying that while you have a pic of the great Chuck Norris as your avatar???

I heard he did the Epic with a 52 single front and a 25 - 11 road cassette at the rear

HTFU man :whistling: :whistling:

Clint Eastwood bro.

post-3602-0-80710900-1378295451_thumb.jpg

Edited by Goodbadugly

Clint Eastwood bro.

Ooops :blush:

Looks just like chuck at a glance...

...Anyway, I still think you need to HTFU ;) :w00t: