Don't let yourself become an insurance statistic...

Redbaobab

...make sure your insurance is covering you for EXACTLY what you asked for even if you were very specific in the beginning, apparently they have no obligation to inform you of changes to your policy other than a small footnote in the terms and conditions of your annual policy letter.

I was very specific with my insurance company (on the advice and multiple posts on the hub about getting the right insurance cover). I specified cover during races, while transporting the bike on the back of a car or locked inside a car etc. the least of my worries was while the bike was on my property.

Supposedly all was in order until I actually needed it the other day when my gate was forced off the rails and my bike was stolen out of my garage.

Turns out that the insurance gradually changed over the years to basically move from all-risks to (what I would call) household goods cover - even though it was still classified as all-risk cover.

Basically, because my bike was not locked inside the main building and unattended they will not cover it. My gate being removed from the rails is not sufficient evidence of forced entry, they had to force the door to the building open as well for it to be accepted as a forced entry.

So please all of you do yourself a favour and ask your insurance company exactly what they will or will not cover with regards to your bike and ask the same question every year to make sure you don't become a statistic like me and fall victim to slight amendments in the wording of the clauses.

And that is why I'm not insured, take that extra how ever much you paying and put it away as a saving for "just in case"... Insurance is a big rip off in my opinion...

And that is why I'm not insured, take that extra how ever much you paying and put it away as a saving for "just in case"... Insurance is a big rip off in my opinion...

Eish, I dont know, takes some big balls not to have insurance. By the time I saved enough to cover my bike I will just buy another one. So for me thats not an option, I am weak dude.