Paarl-Rotary-Backsberg MTB Challenge

BrandonF_

Awesome race!

Loved the climbs,

Would have wanted to take the single track after the long climb the congestion sucked!

The technical sections was suberb!

My 2C for improvements for next year:

1. if possible, less mud

2. don't join the routes together at the end - this just always causes havoc

3. food - like mentioned above - after that ride you want a proper decent burger(s)

Great event all round, def back next year!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really enjoyed Saturday's ride - only did the 30, though, but a nice workout! Agree with the comments re food options and keeping routes apart (specifically on single track - there were virtually no short route riders on the short piece close to the end that could ride ST, leading to some frustration among longer route riders). As an aside - anybody wanting to get rid of an entry (even 30k route?) for Sunday's Elgin race, please PM me?

More like loose rocks, near the top.

I feel sorry for you 1x10 folks...

LOL I was thinking the same on that climb and poor soul with a 32 front and standard 11-36 cassette rear is going to be toast

• 2 years later...

Yeah, will be my 7th time. Not too happy about it being a Sunday ride and also the long route not doing the hectic climb like in 2015 and before.

How did the other riders find the race. Overall was good amd glad I tried it between all the mud and shorter route riders.

Do wonder how the new racetec boards worked as we still waiting for the results (probably posted the results as I am typing the post)

Unless they revert to the 2015 (and before) long route I am not entering. While the venue is beautiful, the people friendly and well organised it is the route I can only describe as regrettable. As in I regret entering and getting up early on a Sunday for that route. 

Unless they revert to the 2015 (and before) long route I am not entering. While the venue is beautiful, the people friendly and well organised it is the route I can only describe as regrettable. As in I regret entering and getting up early on a Sunday for that route.

Eish....coming from you Rouxenator,..I'm glad I opted for the Riebeeck Kasteel 60km yesterday. Always loved Backsberg tho.....

Also did the riebeek 60 yesterday knowing it was going to be congested today. Enjoyed the relaxed riding today. Anyone know who the guy was that fell and may have broken his leg? I stopped by him and cautioned other riders and the guy was in a lot of pain. His name is steven.hope he recovers fully soon.

Eish....coming from you Rouxenator,..I'm glad I opted for the Riebeeck Kasteel 60km yesterday. Always loved Backsberg tho.....

Yeah, riding back home I was super miffed that I did not join you for Riebeeck Kasteel instead and skip Backsberg.

2015 was the last good Backberg, with that hectic climb, proper single track and the floating bridge.

Also did the riebeek 60 yesterday knowing it was going to be congested today. Enjoyed the relaxed riding today. Anyone know who the guy was that fell and may have broken his leg? I stopped by him and cautioned other riders and the guy was in a lot of pain. His name is steven.hope he recovers fully soon.

I rode back up to fetch the medics, also keen to know what happened to him.

Did Riebeek on Saturday so decided to downgrade to shorter route yesterday.  I know Backsberg quite well and have done pretty much all the distances through the years, and it was definitely always one of my favourites. 

The changes in routes, however, are most REGRETTABLE.  I will not do this one again if the routes stay the same.  Had a couple of other gripes, which I will take up directly with PPA and the organisers, which include the following:

• Lack of and plain poor signage - I had to turn around at least 3 times. 
  • Marshalling at split points - marshalls letting everybody continue straight while some routes had to turn left.
  • Route merging chaos
  • Wires on farm roads - I'm not asking for the roads to be swept or such, but the roads were littered with vineyard trimmings (this time of year) - which unfortunately included a hell of a lot of wires, which wreaked havoc. 
  • Short piece of singletrack just above the bottom dam - a pleasure to do it downhill instead of up as previously - but sjo, that track was badly overgrown and thorny! 
  • Wrong information provided at registration re route profiles
  • Parking shortage

I'd love to see this route return to its previous glory, but until it does, I'm afraid I'd rather go ride Boschendal on a Sunday morning...

Fully agree with you. I had a couple of shorter route riders complain about the faster riders and how it is not safe to have kids mixing in between more experienced riders. 

So I am with you on this, if the route is not reverted back to how it was in 2015 and before I'm out. That and the floating bridge at the end is what I would like back.

Is it just my Garmin that's out or did anyone else also record 790m of ascent and not 1064m like on the profile map?

Was looking forward to some long steady climbing training for K2C.

All said and done, I enjoyed the ride but share some of the gripes about the route, especially the loop on the other side of the Simondium road where the distances joined and chevron taped off corridors to split traffic, the single file was a killer in traffic.

Also, thanks to the MB rider who stopped to loan his chain breaker on the first climb! Was able to fix my technical and return the breaker at the end. Big thank you!

Did Riebeek on Saturday so decided to downgrade to shorter route yesterday.  I know Backsberg quite well and have done pretty much all the distances through the years, and it was definitely always one of my favourites. 

The changes in routes, however, are most REGRETTABLE.  I will not do this one again if the routes stay the same.  Had a couple of other gripes, which I will take up directly with PPA and the organisers, which include the following:

• Lack of and plain poor signage - I had to turn around at least 3 times. 
  • Marshalling at split points - marshalls letting everybody continue straight while some routes had to turn left.
  • Route merging chaos
  • Wires on farm roads - I'm not asking for the roads to be swept or such, but the roads were littered with vineyard trimmings (this time of year) - which unfortunately included a hell of a lot of wires, which wreaked havoc. 
  • Short piece of singletrack just above the bottom dam - a pleasure to do it downhill instead of up as previously - but sjo, that track was badly overgrown and thorny! 
  • Wrong information provided at registration re route profiles
  • Parking shortage

I'd love to see this route return to its previous glory, but until it does, I'm afraid I'd rather go ride Boschendal on a Sunday morning...

The bad route markings was the only thing fun about that race, seeing riders coming from all directions made me laugh, note to self, dont do Backberg again unless they put the mountain back into it, 

Organizers seriously, you are going to have to spice that route up for 2018 

Archived