ROAD OR TRI BIKE??????

ShowDem

I only have enough money to buy one bike but not sure what route to go.

I will be doing ironman next year and a few triathlons leading up to it.

Would it be better to buy a good road bike and then just do the conversion for ironman or should I rather go for a tri bike and convert to road for the limited events I do every year?

What is the process for conversion and what does it cost (roughly)?

I'd say an aero roadbike like the specialized venge, Scott foil or giant propel with short tri bars bolted on when needed.

I posted the same Q some time back. Bought a road bike. SO glad I did. The guys here mostly recommended road, and you can't fault these legends. ;)

I dissagree with the previous comments.

If your focus for next year is IM and doing other long distance triathlons leading up to it, rather get a Tri bike.

While a clip on bars are an easy solution, you still wont get all the fit and aero benefits that a tri bike is designed for... remember the steeper seat tube of a tri bike is specifically designed to open up your pelvis in order to benefit the run after. I for one would not want to ride 180 km on a road bike and then run a marathon... a TT bike makes a huge difference here.

You can get away with a road bike and clip ons for olympic distance races and even 70.3 (very hilly bike) but for anything else I say get a TT bike.

Also, if you want to do other road races, there are literally thousands of road bikes sitting in garages not being used - just ask around to borrow one - even on the hub you'll find guys willing to lend you a road bike for a race if you need. :thumbup:

I think the 1st question that you should ask yourself is what is you intentions after IM. I agree with Svan that the tt bike will give you added benefits, but with a limited budget a road bike will give you more benefit in the long run, unless you are going to focus on triathlons.

Some points to consider

1. You can not use a TT bike for road races.

2. If you cycle with a group, a TT bike is a no go in most instances.

I love cycling, and do loads of cycle races. I train with a group of friends. But, I have also done Full IM and a few 70.3's. I didnt have cash to upgrade my road bike and buy a TT. So, my solution was to buy a decent road bike (Scott Foil) which i can use for road cycling as well as Triathlons.

I change my seat and add tri-bars, and I am comfortable. Yes, i am not competing for podium so i dont need that extra benefit, but I still love the sport. Maybe in the future i will buy a TT bike, but i would rather 1st buy better wheels for my road bike.....

Hope that this helps!!!

remember the steeper seat tube of a tri bike is specifically designed to open up your pelvis in order to benefit the run after. I for one would not want to ride 180 km on a road bike and then run a marathon... a TT bike makes a huge difference here.

What would the savings be for a avg Joe that rides at 30km/h avg and does a 5 hour run?

What's your budget?

If I had to buy a TT set up for say R20k, I would probably look to get an entry level tri bike for around R15 - 18k, then I could also pick up a cheap ass road bike for R3-5k for the odd group ride / road race. Pleanty of both for sale in the classifieds.

A R15k tri bike will be far more beneficial on IM race day than a R20k road bike with clip ons.

Or buy a good TT bike and if after IM you decide you no longer want to triathlons, just sell the TT bike and buy a road bike...

A R15k tri bike will be far more beneficial on IM race day than a R20k road bike with clip ons.

Based on what?

Or buy a good TT bike and if after IM you decide you no longer want to triathlons, just sell the TT bike and buy a road bike...

The market for TT bikes is very small and you will sell it at a big loss.

What would the savings be for a avg Joe that rides at 30km/h avg and does a 5 hour run?

Very difficult to quanitfy. The bike itself wont save that much time - maybe 10+ minutes over 180km. But the difference to the run can be the difference between a 4 1/2 hour run and a 6+ hour walk. Obviously there are exeptions - if you are very flexible and don'e have lower back issues riding a road bike might not make much difference to your run.

I just think (from my own experience) that if you're going to do IM, go all in and try to make it as least difficult as it already is!

Frame geometry, areodynamics, different emaphisis of leg muscle use... And my own experince doing long distance traithlons on a road bike w/ clip ons vs a tri bike. :thumbup:

If you buy second hand to start your loss wont be too big.

Simple...you can use your road bike for triathlons, but if you go buy a TT bike you cant do road races on it. As a matter of fact I think some triathlons you cant use a TT bike either but I stand to be corrected.

dont take this the wrong way, but why do triathletes seem to think they need a 'special' bike, surely a conventional road bike is good enough or is it because of the no drafting rule that they want to get stretched out like a TT bike?

Simple...you can use your road bike for triathlons, but if you go buy a TT bike you cant do road races on it. As a matter of fact I think some triathlons you cant use a TT bike either but I stand to be corrected.

Not that simple - for Ironman distance - if you read the other posts...

Only sprint distance triathlons (drafting legal) don't allow tri bikes - eg. Energage series, which no longer exists anyway. Also for IM training you shouldn't be doing sprints other than as transition practice...