2nd hand buying help - Enduro / All mountain

Brawler

i have a trance with a decent fork and shock, and even though it's light, that damn bike is in its element when you really lay on the gas. Go abit slow, and it feels flimsy, but i think that if you set your damping properly, you will not run out of travel. Ppl set their suspensions for plushness thinking its' the same at all speeds. Noob mistake. If you hit stuff hard, u have to up the stiffness. But all personal preference i guess.

anyways, while there is no doubt better out there, u won't go wrong with a trance.

To wit, I'm eyeballing the 2014 Trance SX. So much of yum!

I'm also keen to check this out. I like the idea of the SX over the standard trance for the 34mm fork and extra travel, but it's quite a bit pricier, at least going by the prices elsewhere. I don't know what they're going to rush you for one of these over here with the rand falling out of bed.

Also, some of the component choices are a bit dodge. E.g. Deore brakes - wouldn't you want to up the spec on the brakes for a machine like this - but maybe they are ok.

Also heavy zee cranks might be a bit much and the 1x10 setup may not ideal if you still have to pedal up the hill.

The new trance SX advance with the X01 groupset has none of these issues and just looks the berries. But it's big bucks and I don't even know if they're going to bring it to SA.

Being an anthem rider I'm a big fan of the giant suspension and I'm sure the trance is just as good.

My pet hate with Giant is the Overdrive 2 steerer. It does mean you got to get the fork right up front because you can hardly give it away if you want to upgrade it.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it looks a bit beaten. But for the price one can consider it.

Honestly I bought the commencal new and my spez epic was 2 nd hand, and that money spent is worth it. Everything is new, and that counts for tons. Nothing worse than worked over derailers and square wheels. Been there done that.

Yeah it looks a bit beaten. But for the price one can consider it.

Honestly I bought the commencal new and my spez epic was 2 nd hand, and that money spent is worth it. Everything is new, and that counts for tons. Nothing worse than worked over derailers and square wheels. Been there done that.

Hmmm. Everything except the crank, brakes, hubs and bars on my bike are 2nd hand. And they are awesome.

The Commecal Meta AM3 has gone up over the last few days on CRC and will now cost about R30k to bring in :\

I'm also keen to check this out. I like the idea of the SX over the standard trance for the 34mm fork and extra travel, but it's quite a bit pricier, at least going by the prices elsewhere. I don't know what they're going to rush you for one of these over here with the rand falling out of bed.

Also, some of the component choices are a bit dodge. E.g. Deore brakes - wouldn't you want to up the spec on the brakes for a machine like this - but maybe they are ok.

Also heavy zee cranks might be a bit much and the 1x10 setup may not ideal if you still have to pedal up the hill.

The new trance SX advance with the X01 groupset has none of these issues and just looks the berries. But it's big bucks and I don't even know if they're going to bring it to SA.

Being an anthem rider I'm a big fan of the giant suspension and I'm sure the trance is just as good.

My pet hate with Giant is the Overdrive 2 steerer. It does mean you got to get the fork right up front because you can hardly give it away if you want to upgrade it.

I dont get hung up on groupsets as I dont mind cutting the initial cost-corner to garner a good frame with good-enough components. Components can always be upgraded, just as I did with my current Trance. Much of what I have now will probably go over to the Trance SX anyways, and therefore I'm eyeballing the frame only. Whether i'll get one is another story. But I'm hopeful.

After the ride with the lads at Tokai this weekend, I'm again impressed with the little Trance, and no doubt in large part to having a good suspension. I got knocked for apparently having my tyres switched around (Hans Dampf at the back and Nobby Nic up front). Good thing i'm blissfully ignorant of the 'fact' the HD is a rear-only tyre :P

Took me a bit of playing around with pressure, but i eventually found the sweet spot for my weight and riding style with those NNs. But my word is that compound sketch over wet roots.. :eek:

but i'd imagine that most tyre compounds would be sketch on offcamber roots soaked by weeks worth of rain.

Edited by Capricorn

I dont get hung up on groupsets as I dont mind cutting the initial cost-corner to garner a good frame with good-enough components. Components can always be upgraded, just as I did with my current Trance. Much of what I have now will probably go over to the Trance SX anyways, and therefore I'm eyeballing the frame only. Whether i'll get one is another story. But I'm hopeful.

After the ride with the lads at Tokai this weekend, I'm again impressed with the little Trance, and no doubt in large part to having a good suspension. I got knocked for apparently having my tyres switched around (Hans Dampf at the back and Nobby Nic up front). Good thing i'm blissfully ignorant of the 'fact' the HD is a rear-only tyre :P

Took me a bit of playing around with pressure, but i eventually found the sweet spot for my weight and riding style with those NNs. But my word is that compound sketch over wet roots.. :eek:

but i'd imagine that most tyre compounds would be sketch on offcamber roots soaked by weeks worth of rain.

LOL! YOu had to, didn't you!?

That "slmost-off" was purely down to me being a prat. I wasn't happy with the line I had taken and was wary of the tree in front of me and the off camber muddy corner. That I stopped was just a mark of how much of a prat I was!

Other than that though, super tire. I didn't feel them sketch over the (many) roots either...

Guest Omega Man

Good thing i'm blissfully ignorant of the 'fact' the HD is a rear-only tyre :P

For realz?

LOL! YOu had to, didn't you!?

That "slmost-off" was purely down to me being a prat. I wasn't happy with the line I had taken and was wary of the tree in front of me and the off camber muddy corner. That I stopped was just a mark of how much of a prat I was!

Other than that though, super tire. I didn't feel them sketch over the (many) roots either...

despite my reservations over the HD, they did do much better over the roots than the NN.