Mtb powermeter

Odion

Looking for some advice. In the market for a powermeter,but needs to be fitted onto my mtb. Does anyone have info on what is currently available - mtb specific

Hi,

I have been using an Ergomo on my road bike for about a year and mountainbike for about 6 months and have been very happy.  In fairness I have had a couple of issues:

- road bike: the cable got pinched by the cable ties used to install it and the unit started giving wierd readings (replaced under warranty and perfect since then)

- mountain bike: see an earlier post on The Hub- have broken something insude it and am sure it will be fixed uner warranty but still need to get to Cycletech to sort it out.

I have done lots of tough milage on the MTB with the Ergomo- Cederberg, Sabie and lots of training in heavy mud and it worked perfectly until about 3 weeks ago. Evenn with the above, I would recommend the Ergomo for a mountainbike unreservedly.

Your alternatives are:

SRM: old style wired or new style wireless.  Dont even ask the price, it will make you sick but it is probably the best around.

Powertap: currently v-brake only (so not for me), there is talk of a disk version but it is yet to be released as far as I know.

I dont think any of the power meters will work 100% of the time without any issues, but in my view, the benefit in training and racing is well worth it

Thanks 1kTT, my concern with ergomo was the ability to stand up to mud etc.

Was looking at the new SRM wireless mtb, but at R40k i'd have to pull off the valentine's of the century to convince my wife it's an essential piece of equipment. I've also looked at the powertap (disk version) and the new Quarq, but both have vague dates they will be available to the public.

Also how has the service been from Cycletech regards the ergomo

Odion, Quarq have not given any indication of an MTB version.  Road version is due soon but they won't even say they will be building an MTB version at all.

Other than that, 1kTT covered all of it!

Bruce, i'd be keen to try the quarq but as you say the only press release I've seen on the mtb version is that they are working on it.....

With any power system you will find yourself being somewhat of a beta-tester if you are one of the early adopters - all systems have some small problems that only become apparent once regular folk go out and play around with them a bit. I would therefore be wary of the Quarq, at least until there has been some real world feedback. It seems that Ergomo has been working hard on sorting out some of their issues worldwide, and more recent reports have been much more positive.

I use one on my road bike, and have been very happy so far.

Thanks 1kTT' date=' my concern with ergomo was the ability to stand up to mud etc.

Was looking at the new SRM wireless mtb, but at R40k i'd have to pull off the valentine's of the century to convince my wife it's an essential piece of equipment. I've also looked at the powertap (disk version) and the new Quarq, but both have vague dates they will be available to the public.

Also how has the service been from Cycletech regards the ergomo[/quote']

no issues at all with mud and i have been through plenty with it.  mine seemed to break something inside the unit so one crank can do 1/4 revolution on its own...

Cycletech service has been good so far, but need to see how they deal with my broken unit.  To be fair I havnt taken it to them yet, just been too busy.  I have another unit to install in the mean time.

i dont think that the SRM will necessarily be any more stable and not sure that the local agent will carry enough spares so that you will always have a unit, but I have been trying to get info on getting one for epic, with no luck so far.

Just got news that the Powertap disc version "will be relaesed to the public middle of march"

That's great news! Who did you hear this from and do you know if they will have the 2.4 wireless version?