Cratercruise - where to camp?

martinsnyman

This one next to the river

Mimosa Gardens Caravan Park Parys

On the banks of the Vaal River

Mimosa Garden has been a wellknown holiday resort in Parys for years and is situated on the banks of the Vaal River. Several islands are formed in the river, which is rich in trees and ideal for bird watching. Chalets are fully equipped. The restaurant on the premises is fully licensed. . .

Tel nr: +27 (0)56 811 2312/3

This one next to the river

Mimosa Gardens Caravan Park Parys

On the banks of the Vaal River

Mimosa Garden has been a wellknown holiday resort in Parys for years and is situated on the banks of the Vaal River. Several islands are formed in the river, which is rich in trees and ideal for bird watching. Chalets are fully equipped. The restaurant on the premises is fully licensed. . .

Tel nr: +27 (0)56 811 2312/3

Avoid this place as far as you can.Really gone backwards, and facilities are not maintained.Rather check out the camping spots on the Fochville road.Also some nice places along the crater.Check out the Parys info website as well.

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know of a nice camp site near Parys for the crater?

Thanks

I make it a MTB weekend in Parys and do the 106Km on Saturday and the 56Km on sunday.Stay at Smilin thru Holiday resort just about 10Km outside Parys.Quiet Cheap,self catering.Lots of Braai's Beer and quite a load of Mountain Bikers making for a good vibe all round.

Avoid this place as far as you can.Really gone backwards, and facilities are not maintained.Rather check out the camping spots on the Fochville road.Also some nice places along the crater.Check out the Parys info website as well.

Grant it the last time I stayed there was in the 70's but have stopped off to use the loos there once or twice, all looks a bit long in the tooth, but same can be said for that entire dorp.

Is the Afridome being offered as an option this year? Have stayed there before. Nice and close to the venue. And there was a pub nearby.

Is the Afridome being offered as an option this year? Have stayed there before. Nice and close to the venue. And there was a pub nearby. There is a nice pub with the venue nearby.

Fixed the priorities

Grant it the last time I stayed there was in the 70's but have stopped off to use the loos there once or twice, all looks a bit long in the tooth, but same can be said for that entire dorp.

Yeh, makes me sad to see the place (town) go backwards like that.

I grew up there and must say it was actually a very nice town to live in and grow up as a kid.

Still visit there often as my parents and sister still live there.

Actually saw a documentary on Parys this weekend, hosted by Valiant Swart, seemed to be pretty nice, reminded me of a Clarens type vibe, we're staying at Green Gables, think they still have place, not camping though.

Yeh, makes me sad to see the place (town) go backwards like that.

I grew up there and must say it was actually a very nice town to live in and grow up as a kid.

Still visit there often as my parents and sister still live there.

We used to do weekend getaways to that caravan park as a family, had great fun exploring the river.

It seems to have developed a lot along the main street there (good and bad thing), and I have seen some quite nice places to stay whilst riding around there on the Crater Cruise and Dirt Max ((both of which I am a regular) - but that Wimpy, wont be going back there.