Bike cleaning - Groupset, Cassette etc

Ecko_1

Hi all,

Got a chain breaker on the weekend, to take apart chain to clean.

Can I just keep breaking the same chain over and over again? Should I use the same link each time?

I also bought a chain wear ometer thingy.

I have never had such a clean chain, thanks Routjxie for the tips.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the clean last night. Borrowed the neccessary tools and bought myself some Powasol. Cassette and chain is nice and clean. I lubed up last night as well.

Quite a simple process with the right tools.

Hi all,

Got a chain breaker on the weekend, to take apart chain to clean.

Can I just keep breaking the same chain over and over again? Should I use the same link each time?

I also bought a chain wear ometer thingy.

I have never had such a clean chain, thanks Routjxie for the tips.

When you say break, do you mean you break the same spot and then re-insert a pin to assemble or do you use a removable link after the first "break" I would suggest that rather.

Chain wear thingamabobs are ok but they sometimes indicate wear a bit too early, there is a sticky under Tech Q & A that will explain a better way of measuring the chain over a bigger "spread" of link for a more accurate way of establishing if the chain is worn or not. The little measuring devices are a quick and dirty and I use mine every now and again, but the final say is still the measuring tape.

I did the clean last night. Borrowed the neccessary tools and bought myself some Powasol. Cassette and chain is nice and clean. I lubed up last night as well.

Quite a simple process with the right tools.

Good job man :thumbup: Did you manage to find those 10spd links?

When you say break, do you mean you break the same spot and then re-insert a pin to assemble or do you use a removable link after the first "break" I would suggest that rather.

Chain wear thingamabobs are ok but they sometimes indicate wear a bit too early, there is a sticky under Tech Q & A that will explain a better way of measuring the chain over a bigger "spread" of link for a more accurate way of establishing if the chain is worn or not. The little measuring devices are a quick and dirty and I use mine every now and again, but the final say is still the measuring tape.

Thanks Rouxtjie, I am breaking the chain and then re inserting the same pin. CWC did not have a quick link or anything in 9 speed on sat.

Do you need a another tool for the quick link?

I read up and know that need to take chain measurer with pinch of salt, it gives me a little bit of an idea though.

Good job man :thumbup: Did you manage to find those 10spd links?

I went to the local Cycle Lab (being the only bike shop open on a Sunday as it is in a mall), and the salesman said that they only have SRAM powerlinks that work with the Shimano chains. I bought one but did not fit it. The mate who I borrowed the tools from recommend that I reinsert the master pin that I took out to break the chain, as that is what he does. I usually take his word when it comes to bikes as he is the neighbourhood go to guy for bikes and is quite capable of building up complete bikes. Can you recommend anything from the above based on your experience. I still have the SRAM powerlink in my car. I have pushed the masterpin that I took out back into the chain to join it.

Thanks Rouxtjie, I am breaking the chain and then re inserting the same pin. CWC did not have a quick link or anything in 9 speed on sat.

Do you need a another tool for the quick link?

I read up and know that need to take chain measurer with pinch of salt, it gives me a little bit of an idea though.

You dont need another tool for the quick link(not for the one I posted a couple of pages earlier), you break the chain once and insert the quicklink and from then on you can remove the chain by clipping the quicklink in and out at the same spot, you can do this by hand and should take no more than 10 seconds, of which 5 seconds is spent looking for that "special link" in the chain.

SRAM 10spd quicklinks might need a tool, to fit and remove though. But you have 9spd so no problems, the SRAM 9spd quicklinks doesn't need a tool

Ja look the small chain wear tools are quick and easy to get an indication of wear and I still use mine...very convenient.

Edited by rouxtjie

I went to the local Cycle Lab (being the only bike shop open on a Sunday as it is in a mall), and the salesman said that they only have SRAM powerlinks that work with the Shimano chains. I bought one but did not fit it. The mate who I borrowed the tools from recommend that I reinsert the master pin that I took out to break the chain, as that is what he does. I usually take his word when it comes to bikes as he is the neighbourhood go to guy for bikes and is quite capable of building up complete bikes. Can you recommend anything from the above based on your experience. I still have the SRAM powerlink in my car. I have pushed the masterpin that I took out back into the chain to join it.

Ja SRAM links will work with shimano chains no problem, when you say it doesnt fit is it too narrow that you can't get the quicklink to clip in or does the little quicklink pins not fit through the chain holes?

Ja SRAM links will work with shimano chains no problem, when you say it doesnt fit is it too narrow that you can't get the quicklink to clip in or does the little quicklink pins not fit through the chain holes?

Misunderstanding. I didnt try fit it. On my mates recommendation I just rejoined the original masterlink. It was one link that had a bigger pin than all the others.

Misunderstanding. I didnt try fit it. On my mates recommendation I just rejoined the original masterlink. It was one link that had a bigger pin than all the others.

Ah ok, I would suggest putting in a link in that same spot in the chain asap, re-using the same pin could result in stiff links or a weak spot so try and minimize your chain breaking to once and then insert the quicklink. Here is a video.

Ah ok, I would suggest putting in a link in that same spot in the chain asap, re-using the same pin could result in stiff links or a weak spot so try and minimize your chain breaking to once and then insert the quicklink. Here is a video.

I cant see the video. Should I just pull out the link I broke completely and fit the powerlink in its place? Could the stiff link cause the derailler to jump/catch when back pedalling slowly?

I cant see the video. Should I just pull out the link I broke completely and fit the powerlink in its place? Could the stiff link cause the derailler to jump/catch when back pedalling slowly?

You are going to have to break the chain in two places to fit a power/quick link. All that the power / quick link is, is two outer plates with pins on either side that under tension locks itself in place. So break the chain where you re-used the pin, it should leave you with an inner "roller" end, that side is fine for the quick / power link. Now break the chain again on the other end where there are two outer plates still present....your chain need to end in "roller" inners on both ends for a quick / power link to fit

Hope I made sense

5 pages of how to clean a bike...

I just spray the whole bike with Muck off, and wash it off with a hose attached to a Gardena brush - so the water goes through the brush - best invention ever for cleaning bikes.

5 minutes from start to finish... max.

5 pages of how to clean a bike...

I just spray the whole bike with Muck off, and wash it off with a hose attached to a Gardena brush - so the water goes through the brush - best invention ever for cleaning bikes.

5 minutes from start to finish... max.

I think the reasons why not to do this has been covered...its quick and convenient no argument there, but not the best

Edited by rouxtjie