Cyclist held up on Kloof Nek Road

Warren_G

A FRESNAYE resident says he was robbed of his bicycle at gunpoint on Kloof Nek Road.

Yesterday the resident, who declined to be named, said he was held up on Kloof Nek Road, near The Glen, last week at about 7.15pm.

This was two days before Benjamin Bungartz, of Hout Bay, was robbed of his bicycle at gun and knifepoint by three men on the Karbonkelberg on Saturday.

It was believed the attack on Bungartz was the first mountain mugging in which a gun was used.

The Fresnaye man said his experience was similar to Bungartz’s.

He said he had wanted to join other cyclists on the mountain on Thursday evening, but it had been too misty so he decided to cycle along Kloof Nek Road instead.

The chain of his bicycle had started slipping, so he decided to get off and instead carried it upside down.

“These two guys approached and asked if they could help me. I said no,” the man said.

He told the two men to go away, but one then threatened him with a gun. “He said: ‘Step back or I’ll shoot.’”

The men then took his bicycle. They also stole his helmet and shoes and told him to walk away.

Mountain rangers who came across him helped him.

Police spokesman Andre Traut said the incident was being investigated.

On Saturday, Bungartz was robbed of his bicycle, cellphone, wallet and other belongings after he had got off his bicycle to cross a stream on the Karbonkelberg.

:cursing:

(Although, I must say, I think getting killed by an idiot driver is much more likely on Kloof Nek Road.)

The person robbed of his bike, shoes & helmet is a member of TMB. He called me early on Friday morning to let me know what happened.

The incident occurred in The Glen , just above the S bends. he had seen the 2 perps as he was going down the road (doing hill repeats), but thought nothing of it.

He mentioned that not a single car stopped to assist, probably to be expected not knowing whether you will be blown away, but still cowardly behaviour nonetheless.

According to him it was opportunistic and didn't seem planned.

By the way, a bike was stolen at the corner of De Lorentz and Kloof Street yesterday afternoon.

Black, White & Orange Momsen

Activated the CCID and Saps Woodstock once I was informed, but no luck so far.

I don't know how the bike was taken (left unattended, or forcefully taken), but guys, be aware and don't leave your bike leaning against a wall, thinking you have your eye on it. It takes only seconds as the perp is probably watching you. They are in no hurry and will wait for the right moment.

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, a bike was stolen at the corner of De Lorentz and Kloof Street yesterday afternoon.

Black, White & Orange Momsen

Activated the CCID and Saps Woodstock once I was informed, but no luck so far.

I don't know how the bike was taken (left unattended, or forcefully taken), but guys, be aware and don't leave your bike leaning against a wall, thinking you have your eye on it. It takes only seconds as the perp is probably watching you. They are in no hurry and will wait for the right moment.

It was my bike. Someone from my apartment block had left the garage door open around 4pm when a skollie wandering past spotted it. He in turn was seen by a member of the Neighbourhood Watch who watched the guy kneel down, pretend to tie his shoe lace and then push a wheelie bin to the back of the block. A few minutes later, having gotten into a storeroom he emerged at pace on my brand new bike. The neighbourhood watch guy tried to give chase in his car, but there was afternoon traffic and he lost him. The cops came, we have a case number and for now that's where it stands. I've posted the bike's details on the stolen bikes section. http://www.thehubsa....329-2014-model/

Edited by TudorCD

Good to know what the circumstances around the theft of your bike really were. It was negligence/opportunism , rather than a bike jacking.

Either way, a bike was still stolen , but it's important to separate the types of crime so that we understand what is actually going on.

The guy who stole your bike will definitely be back in the area. He sounds like the usual scum that trawl the streets, looking for an open door or any opportunity to steal something of value. He is most likely a known face to the NW and I would keep a lookout for him. SAPS in Tamboerskloof were/are a good bunch and will be eager to help. I used to be very active in the NW, but have moved focus to the mountain.