Fox fork and oil amount for lower legs

Mojoman

Which brand?

Bel-Ray

Been reading up on some Moto forums and they mention that the heavier weight will slow the damping down and presumably affect the rebound too (although rebound could be adjusted with the valve) with the nett effect of making the fork feel stiffer?

edit: spelling

Edited by Bobbo_SA

Fork oil's fine, 10w Bel-Ray is about the closest you'll get to the Fox stuff.

Thanks, have ordered some from my local motorbike shop!

In the air spring in place of float fluid, yes. Use transmission oil in a damper and you'll turn your fork into a plank.

This thread is about open bath oil volume... not damper oil... I think I said it clearly:

"Synthetic manual transmission oil works great in the open bath...

Store your bike upside down one night per week so some oil can seep through to the foam rings - you'll never have dry foam rings. "

Brighter Lights I think your are confusing the lingo relating to forks. In my book, "Open Bath" refers to the damper design not the oil in the lower leg that is solely there to keep the stanchions sliding happily. Some Fox forks are Open Bath in that the damper side is not a cartrdige system like a RS Reba for instance, and when you remove the lowers you lose 150ml plus of damping oil so as stoke says, do not use transmission fluid in an Open Bath damper fork, but rather the correct weight fork oil either mtb or moto.

Bel-Ray

Been reading up on some Moto forums and they mention that the heavier weight will slow the damping down and presumably affect the rebound too (although rebound could be adjusted with the valve) with the nett effect of making the fork feel stiffer?

edit: spelling

Net effect, yes. It'll affect your low speed rebound more than anything else, because oil viscosity affects orifice dampers to a greater degree than shim stack dampers. I'd recommend cleaning out the 15wt and replacing with 5wt. The RS oul's very light, the best substitutes are Motul 5wt and Bel-Ray 5wt.

Brighter Lights I think your are confusing the lingo relating to forks. In my book, "Open Bath" refers to the damper design not the oil in the lower leg that is solely there to keep the stanchions sliding happily. Some Fox forks are Open Bath in that the damper side is not a cartrdige system like a RS Reba for instance, and when you remove the lowers you lose 150ml plus of damping oil so as stoke says, do not use transmission fluid in an Open Bath damper fork, but rather the correct weight fork oil either mtb or moto.

10/10. You have clearly pulled a few forks apart before today.