Bestmed Jacaranda classic venue and distance change

2 X 2

Got this mail from ASG

New venue and distances for Bestmed Jacaranda Satellite Classic

The venue for the 2013 Bestmed Jacaranda Satellite Classic, which takes place on 19 October, moves from Necsa to Saloon Route 66, which will result in the event becoming immensely more user friendly and easier to manage logistically.

As a result the distances for the event also change. The 94km ride will now come down to 80km BUT STILL REMAINS A SEEDING EVENT for the 2014 Cape Argus Pick ‘n Pay Cycle Tour. The 114km ride now comes down to 106km – also a seeding event for the 2014 Cycle Tour.

Entries for the event close on Tuesday (8 October 2013).

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isnt there some ruels somewhere that says an event has to be atleast 90km and atleast something like 500 finishers to qualify as a seeding event

...something like 500 finishers to qualify as a seeding event

Nope - e.g. the Kumba Iron Ore Classic is a popular Argus seeding event and the race rarely attracts that many riders.

Isnt there some ruels somewhere that says an event has to be atleast 90km and atleast something like 500 finishers to qualify as a seeding event

That used to be the rule for the seeding ladder which Cyclelab/Supercycling ran. But since that is no more that rule is gone as well. Now it is individual races that negotiate with Argus for seeding status.

Thumbs up to AG for changing the venue. After last year's race and having to weave between cars in the closing kilometers I was convinced that someone would get killed sooner or later. At least now it will be thousands times safer! Well done AG!!!!

So the distance dropped considerably, yet the BIG entry fee remained? :thumbdown: R230 for an 80km. Pffft

Had a look at the venue on google. Sad state of affairs. Good luck with the start groups and finish on that narrow road in.

does anyone have some sort of a route profile for this race?know the distance has changed,but just want to get an idea of difficult thia race is before I enter

Seems like the route change is a good idea, but Its unfair and not very professional to do it long after entry's were open. I signed up for the 94km, and wouldn't have entered had it been 80km.

Perhaps as a compromise the organizers can let those who entered under the original distances to choose whether to be moved to either the 80km or the 106km group.

Edited by Blackadder

Seems like the route change is a good idea, but Its unfair and not very professional to do it long after entry's were open. I signed up for the 94km, and wouldn't have entered had it been 80km.

Perhaps as a compromise the organizers can let those who entered under the original distances to choose whether to be moved to either the 80km or the 106km group.

I entered yesterday and saw that they are giving the guys who entered the 94km the option to do the 106km instead of the 80km.

Rider alert - Satellite Classic: New venue and distances

The venue for the 2013 Bestmed Jacaranda Satellite Classic, which takes place on 19 October, moves from Necsa to Saloon Route 66.

The venue change will result in the event being immensely more rider friendly and easier to manage logistically.

As a result the distances for the event also change. The 94km ride will now come down to 80km BUT STILL REMAINS A SEEDING EVENT for the 2014 Cape Argus Pick ‘n Pay Cycle Tour. The 114km ride now comes down to 106km – also a seeding event for the 2014 Cycle Tour.

Riders who have already entered the middle distance and feel that 80km is too short, can upgrade to the 106km by sending an email with their name, surname and ID number to eventsupport@asgworld.co.za. You will updated on the entry sheets and receive a starting time with the long distance bunches.

Indeed, you are right. My apologies for not checking first before I posted. Its a nice touch.

I have emailed them to request a change of entry

Edited by Blackadder

Hi guys...

Is there anywhere we can check to see the amount of climbing in this race, still new to the cycling thing and don't want to go in over my head?

Maybe a route profile?