Mongoose hubs are crap?

Tumbleweed

Bought myself a Mongoose Capture about two weeks back. After the first session on it, the cones worked loose. Got it sorted out by a bike shop that happened to be open on a Sunday. A week later, I have the same hassle. A youngster told me that I should expect endless hassles with the wheels because the hubs are crap. Any advice?

Bought myself a Mongoose Capture about two weeks back. After the first session on it, the cones worked loose. Got it sorted out by a bike shop that happened to be open on a Sunday. A week later, I have the same hassle. A youngster told me that I should expect endless hassles with the wheels because the hubs are crap. Any advice?

Proprietary hubs in general, I would think. Wreck 'em and then buy yourself a decent wheelset.

Proprietary hubs in general, I would think. Wreck 'em and then buy yourself a decent wheelset.

Any suggestions? Pretty much wrecked them already - and I'm not that hard on the bike (I'm almost 43 by the way :blush: ). Something that won't break the bank.

Any suggestions? Pretty much wrecked them already - and I'm not that hard on the bike (I'm almost 43 by the way :blush: ). Something that won't break the bank.

Just get any set of sealed hubs you can afford and you should be done with all your problems. I'd ask around at the LBS first because you'll pay a lot for higher end hubs or wheelsets from online stores like BMXdirect.net (they are local though). That said, if you're willing to dish out the R3k for their wheelsets you can put them on and forget about them.

This problem is not just with their BMX's I have a tyax super mtb ..great bike in every respect except the freaking hubs. They are totally wrecked Cones stuffed, bearings shot, cups pitted to hell axle bent.I don't consider myself a hectic rider either and I have only had the bike for just over a year and a half. I finally got enough money together for a new wheelset. Am planning to put them on the bike this week. The hubs that come on the mongoose bikes seem to be something called Formula hubs and after a bit of research they are total sheet.Bent axles and short lived cones and cups seem to be the norm.Things is the rims weren't to bad but I've bent those as well anyway so a new wheelset it was ... A good bike ruined by rubbish hubs IMHO. Mongoose should seriously consider a different supplier for their hubs.