Stupid or not?

PrinceVlad

Problem with the tyres might be solved. A mate will lend me his road bike. So now on to the shoes...Sportsmanswarehouse has both the Olympic road shoes and MTB shies in stock. What is the main difference between the two?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys

I started cycling earlier this year basically to get fit and lose weight, but struggled to get any momentum. (Rode about once or twice a week)

I have now decided to take it more seriously and, to motivate myself, I have entered the 94.7.

As from today there is 41 days left and I plan on doing 1 hour four times a week and a bit longer on weekends. (I started last week). I plan to do a shorter race somewhere in between.

My question is: Am I stupid or not for wanting to complete the race?

Should anybody think I am not stupid, what tips do you have and what accessories and/or equipment are non negotiable. For instance are cycling shoes a necessity?

I have a 29er so I also want to know what tyres to fit for the race to lessen the rolling resistance.

Cheers

I have some 29er slicks in my shop..

Problem with the tyres might be solved. A mate will lend me his road bike. So now on to the shoes...Sportsmanswarehouse has both the Olympic road shoes and MTB shies in stock. What is the main difference between the two?

Not much. The MTB shoes have tread and a "recessed" cleat so you can walk in them. Other than that, identical.

singlespeedGuy, what's the price of those slicks and where is your shop? For interest sake, what would the difference be between a road bike, a 29er with slicks and a 29er without?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Here is some feedback as requested. You will recall I entered for the 94.7 a month ago.

Been riding my two to three 1 hour sessions per week and one or two sessions over the weekend. The past weekend I did 40km and I plan to do about 50km this weekend. I want to enter the Rooiwal race (the 58km) next week, then I will hopefully be fine.

I also plan on changing the tyres because I have been riding on the knobblies since I started. Also got the shoes and cleats.

I've also decided that if I am going to suffer, I might as well suffer for a purpose, so I joined CHOC and I have raised my first R 1000. My Givengain profile is reynardtdeminey.givengain.org should you wish to donate anything, even if it is only R1....it all goes to a good cause.

Hopefully my next feedback will be given after the race on 18 November 2013.

Cheers

Hi Guys

Here is some feedback as requested. You will recall I entered for the 94.7 a month ago.

Been riding my two to three 1 hour sessions per week and one or two sessions over the weekend. The past weekend I did 40km and I plan to do about 50km this weekend. I want to enter the Rooiwal race (the 58km) next week, then I will hopefully be fine.

I also plan on changing the tyres because I have been riding on the knobblies since I started. Also got the shoes and cleats.

I've also decided that if I am going to suffer, I might as well suffer for a purpose, so I joined CHOC and I have raised my first R 1000. My Givengain profile is reynardtdeminey.givengain.org should you wish to donate anything, even if it is only R1....it all goes to a good cause.

Hopefully my next feedback will be given after the race on 18 November 2013.

Cheers

Awesome!! See you in the herd!

Not stupid at all. Did less training for my first one and did it on a Mtb and finished in 4:20. Agree with the comments above, slicks will change your world on the road.

Problem with the tyres might be solved. A mate will lend me his road bike.

My 2c: stick with the MTB for now (put on slicks). It will be easier up the hills with the gearing and you don't want to sit for 4+ hours in a position you haven't trained in.