Chain Specifications ?

igknot

Hi.

What does this mean

Specification: 1/2" × 3/32" or 1/2”x11/128” on a chain specifications.

Are there chains that only fit certain chainrings ? I know that the width of a 10 speed chain is less that a 8 speed chain. but is there diferencie in depth and leght of a link ?

And what is the correct technical term

as found at

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/kmc-z610-single-speed-hx-chain/rp-prod25433?utm_source=awin&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=generic&_$ja=tsid:41244|cgn:awin|kw:85386%20&awc=2698_1381409182_08ff769fe1ad2c5e91bfd7cbe75ddfb4

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/clarks-ptfe-10-speed-chain/rp-prod56348

To illustrate my question

Is A or a the width of the chain

B the length

And C or c the depth

And do these differ from chain to chain

post-26888-0-30599000-1381411034_thumb.png

the 1/2 is the distance in inches from pin to pin - this is the normal sze for bike chains - and the only other variable that changes is the width of the chain - the second number - expressed in fractions of an inch - and they vary depending on the number of rear cogs - the more cogs, the narrower the chain.

From memory there are different width chains for 6, 7, 8, 9 10 and 11 speed clusters - usually the chains are specified on the box as compatible with x speed setups.

To illustrate my question

Is A or a the width of the chain

B the length

And C or c the depth

And do these differ from chain to chain

post-26888-0-30599000-1381411034_thumb.png

c - c is 1/2 inch - so 1/2 of b

The only dimension that changes is a and by inference A as well. a is the second number in the spec.

the dimensions c or C do not change on all the widths of chain.

Edited by V12man

Hi

You are looking at two completely different products, yes both are bicycle chains, but different applications.

The first a a 10 speed chain

1/2”x11/128”

The 11/128" refers to the width of the chain, and is suited for 10 speed cassettes.

The second is a single speed chain;

1/2" × 3/32"

3/32" is actually more 8/9 speed and used mostly for SS'ing.

A REAL SS chain is 1/2" x 1/8", those are the FAT chains that lasts forever.

Best practice is to match the chain and the cog in measurements.

Yes, you can use a 1/8" chain on a 3/32" cog, but will wear faster.

On the contrary, you cannot use a 3/32" chain on a 1/8" cog.

Just will not fit.

Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

Ok,

So I bought this cog but it seem that the teeth are not spced the same as normal 8 speeb chain.

What did I buy ?

The distance from start of toot to start of next tooth when rolled upright is 13mm.

post-26888-0-99904900-1382773226_thumb.jpg

Ok,

So I bought this cog but it seem that the teeth are not spced the same as normal 8 speeb chain.

What did I buy ?

The distance from start of toot to start of next tooth when rolled upright is 13mm.

Looks normal to me. 1/2" is 12.7mm

Ok,

What did I buy ?

I have one of these on my single speed .Came with the fireeye hub .Using a bmx chain with a SS spesific race face crank sprocket Edited by Blitzer