[Event] NISSAN TRAILSEEKER #5 Down & Dirty

Tim_Fair

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did this last year and really enjoyed the first 99% ! Then we had a queue 200 metre long across a field because of the bottle neck. If it's going through that wooded section at the end, please rethink it, it ruined a perfectly good race and the ten minute batches will not solve that problem. It was such a good race and then an utter joke. I spent 30 minutes queuing to go through. There is plenty of terrain to make for an interesting ride, why include that section a km before the end, allow people to free flow that last section. 100's of riders just took the road anyway and short circuited it.

Someone posted a pic last year:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/114784-event-nissan-trailseeker-3-down-dirty/page__hl__trailseeker__st__352

Did this last year and really enjoyed the first 99% ! Then we had a queue 200 metre long across a field because of the bottle neck. If it's going through that wooded section at the end, please rethink it, it ruined a perfectly good race and the ten minute batches will not solve that problem. It was such a good race and then an utter joke. I spent 30 minutes queuing to go through. There is plenty of terrain to make for an interesting ride, why include that section a km before the end, allow people to free flow that last section. 100's of riders just took the road anyway and short circuited it.

Someone posted a pic last year:

http://www.thehubsa....seeker__st__352

Problem last year was that all 3 distances merged before the end causing the major bottlenecks. Tim has assured us that that the merge will be just before the end which will resolve the bottle neck issue. Also the batch intervals will be 10 minutes.

I just found out that one of our team members from our SF office will be headed out to this side, and was keen on a ride on Saturday morning (2nd), to experience some SA mtb'ing. I'm leaning towards taking him to VG for a chilled ride, but 1 or 2 guys from our office here reckon that he might enjoy doing the 20km down & dirty.

what's the route like on the 20km? What's your thoughts on doing this vs a chilled VG ride? anyone have some pics or vids of sections on the route from previous events?

after speaking to francois this is the easiest of all the trailseekers.

So if he is a beginner def go with this

vg is tough even for seasoned mtbers

entered the half marathon again. gonna aim for that top 10 finish

at hakahana i started in b and finished 75th overall, not to bad but I was still caught in those damn queues.

Problem last year was that all 3 distances merged before the end causing the major bottlenecks. Tim has assured us that that the merge will be just before the end which will resolve the bottle neck issue. Also the batch intervals will be 10 minutes.

Would like to hear Tim's comments on that section at the end from last year and how they plan to handle it this year. Tim ?

Would like to hear Tim's comments on that section at the end from last year and how they plan to handle it this year. Tim ?

Hi Trelawney,

The issue with congestion last year was exacerbated by the fact that the final bridge was broken when one of the quad bikes tried to cross it.

We have taken several steps to ensure that the congestion is minimised this year.

Firstly, we have implemented 10 min gaps between batches to spread the riders out from the start.

Secondly, I have split the different distances for the return to the finish. Each distance will have their own return route and will only merge just before the end.

The merge will be after the single tracks and bridges.

Thanks Tim,

Can we get a profile?

Working on the profiles...they should be done by the end of the week. I will post them here and on facebook and routes should also be live on the website by the end of the week.

Hi Trelawney,

The issue with congestion last year was exacerbated by the fact that the final bridge was broken when one of the quad bikes tried to cross it.

We have taken several steps to ensure that the congestion is minimised this year.

Firstly, we have implemented 10 min gaps between batches to spread the riders out from the start.

Secondly, I have split the different distances for the return to the finish. Each distance will have their own return route and will only merge just before the end.

The merge will be after the single tracks and bridges.

Thanks for the info Tim.

My recollection of last year was that we queued in the wooded section for a ramp that people were battling to ride over, the broken bridge was after that. Once past the ramp there was no delay. I might be recalling it wrong but maybe others can remember, the ramp was the main hold up ?

Greatly looking forward to the event though, have ridden the other 4 in the series, be nice to round off the series with a good ride.