Going from 20 to 40km?

Tom L

HI Guys,

Would appreciate any insights to those who may have gone before me.

Been MTB cycling now for around 5 months, and recently did a 20KM race (Van Gaalens) and upgraded my bike to something that can handle the more serious trails.

Currently only training is +- 40Kms on the weekends (sprut, Northenr Farms etc), with a bit of running in the week.

So the question is, I want to enter the next TrailSeeker race in November, but not sure if I should have a go at the 40km now, or stick to a few more 20's? The last 20 I did was in good time and relatively easy, buuuut just want to make sure I'm ready.

The Down and Dirty is pretty flat so I say go for it and finish the series on a personal high

I did a few 20s before I went to 40 and never looked back. However each 40km race is different, some easy and some challenging. I would say give it a go, take it slow for the 1st 20 then see how you go. Pack some energy supps and you good to go

Do it, you have a whole day to finish it. I have a value for money philosaphy, I pay a lot of money for my entry so if I havnt suffered enough, I feel done in.

I've been trying to convince my brother to move up to 40 to. I think one thing to keep in mind is pace. I've never done a 20 but I'd believe it should be a full out sprint, take on your 40 at an easy pace that you're comfortable with. Keep an eye on your clock, if you reach 25km and still feel strong pick it up...

Currently only training is +- 40Kms on the weekends (sprut, Northenr Farms etc), with a bit of running in the week.

Why the worry?

Do it, you have a whole day to finish it. I have a value for money philosaphy, I pay a lot of money for my entry so if I havnt suffered enough, I feel done in.

Souns like when i play gholf

20km? thats kiddies races, haha. 40km is the average mtb race. Did my 1st race in 6 years without any riding before hand on my singlespeed in Robertson mountains, no problem :thumbup: By the looks of things, you are much fitter than me, so wont be problem!

I did a few 20s before I went to 40 and never looked back. However each 40km race is different, some easy and some challenging. I would say give it a go, take it slow for the 1st 20 then see how you go. Pack some energy supps and you good to go

What he said