Travelling to Lesotho

JGR

Thinking of going camping for a few days - any recommendations? advice ect? Not much info on the net

Edited by JGR

Plenty to do in Lesotho, if you're keen just to mtb base yourself at a place like Afriski and enjoy the area - bike, hike, run, etc. Other attractions / areas worthwhile having a look at would be the Khatse dam (you can camp at the lookout point near the dam wall which is pretty cool), Malealea, Maletsunyane Falls, etc. Just remember that although the distances in Lesotho aren't huge they take serious time to travel (twists and turns, up and down) so plan accordingly and don't drive at night

A horse safari is a highlight if you have the arse for it

Any suggestions on where the best pony trek would be?

Lesotho is epic. My best advice is DO IT!!

Was there in December last year for a few days and stayed in Roma for 2 nights and then Ramabanta for 3 night at the trading posts.

You can check them out here : http://www.tradingpost.co.za/

If I remember correctly, it was R80 per person per night. The trading post in Roma has electricity, but the one in Ramabanta only has a generator which they run from 5 to 10 every night. Both are accessible with a normal car on tar roads, which is a winner seen as a lot of the roads in Lesotho are pretty messed up and require a backie / 4x4 / mountain bike to travel on.

When do you want to go?

Here's a photo of the trading post camp site in Ramabanta to wet your appetite... post-44163-0-59117200-1383028114_thumb.jpg

I'd also recommend making sure your brakes work well. You're gonna need them. And making sure your granny gear is working well. You're gonna need that too.

Lesotho is epic. My best advice is DO IT!!

Was there in December last year for a few days and stayed in Roma for 2 nights and then Ramabanta for 3 night at the trading posts.

You can check them out here : http://www.tradingpost.co.za/

If I remember correctly, it was R80 per person per night. The trading post in Roma has electricity, but the one in Ramabanta only has a generator which they run from 5 to 10 every night. Both are accessible with a normal car on tar roads, which is a winner seen as a lot of the roads in Lesotho are pretty messed up and require a backie / 4x4 / mountain bike to travel on.

When do you want to go?

This week - maybe Thursday

Anyone have any info about security? Safe to leave bikes lockedon the back of the car, go riding into the middle of no where?

Any suggestions on where the best pony trek would be?

Ramabanta Trading Post and Malealea Lodge both offer good pony treks. Also, both lodges, and Roma Trading Post are the host lodges for the Lesotho Sky MTB event, so plenty good riding available. You may just need to carry a GPS as the trails are not marked.

When are you planning on going? Just note that the Roof of Africa bike race is happening next month, so accommodation that weekend is non-existent.

Roma & Ramabanta both have full self-catering, camping, DBB & Luxury room options. Prices range from R80pp camping to about R550pp DBB. Pretty sure Malealea will be similar priced.

Take Warm Clothes.

Like winter type stuff.

We did an installation at the mine there a couple of years ago in november.

Although it was scorching hot in joburg we experienced a maximum of 10degrees where we were in Lesotho.

Majestic country with some of the friendliest, most repectfull residents.

As stated above, do not underestimate travelling times, and do not speed. The cops will pull you over, even if you are travelling way below the speed limit if you drive a SA registered car.

Be patient at border crossings, if you get stroppy with the officials, they will delay you out of principal.

spectacular views await!!!

Take the usual precautions, remember Lesotho is a really poor country. If you're keen on horse riding perhaps stay at Malealea Lodge and join one of their trips (from a half day to multi-day), there's plenty to do in the area so might be worthwhile using that as a base and exploring from there.