Commuting in a thunderstorm ...

mudda

Stay away from trees and tall objects. The lower you keep the better. find shelter if its really bad. I was caught once in a really bad storm and was almost sure I wasnt going to make it. Me and a friend hid under a water tower that created a Faraday cage effect, the lighting will choose to flow through the structure to ground and not your body.

Er, this is completely wrong and very dangerous. You have to be inside a faraday cage for it to offer protection. Best advice I could offer to chainsaw is to keep some eggs in his pockets. That way at least he'll have something to eat while he's waiting for the ambulance.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got caught on a training ride a couple of years back. Open stretch of road with nowhere to hide. Storm swept in quickly and before I knew it I was being pelted with hail, some even cutting some skin on my forearms. Amazing how amplified the sound is when it hits you on the helmet. After the first couple of lightning strikes close by I tried to 'hide' in a stormwater drainpipe running underneath the road but wasn't big enough.

Cycled a bit further and got to a shop where I waited it out.

Was awesome!!!

Ain't hard for shorties like us. :thumbup:

Reminds me of the 24-hour at Rietvlei that got shortened by a storm. There we were holding down our gazebo, and then the lightning came. Um, screw the gazebo...

got a bit worried out there this evening, lighting all over the place,

did some low flying to get home.