Commuting in a thunderstorm ...

mudda

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If there's lightening around and it's still dry you shouldn't, a moving object generates charge and so is more likely to be struck.....................

Stay away from trees and tall objects. The lower you keep the better. find shelter if its really bad. I was caught once in a really bad storm and was almost sure I wasnt going to make it. Me and a friend hid under a water tower that created a Faraday cage effect, the lighting will choose to flow through the structure to ground and not your body.

Typical Highveld thunderstorm we've just had - normally short and sweet, usually worthwhile just waiting a while for the worst to pass and as previously mentioned switch on ALL lights and pedal

You're less likely to be injured while on your bike than if you're walking. If you can track stand under a bridge you're probably as safe as you can get as long as you're not propping yourself next to a column or the wall....

Re the building up a charge, and thus attracting lightning.... lightning isn't that predictable unfortunately.

what it comes down to is that lightning strikes are probabilistic. They also do damage to people through at least 5 different mechanisms. To minimise your chances of being "struck": seek shelter, stay low(er than surrounding structures), keep your feet together, stay away (about a meter) from vertical structures.

Wouldn't you be safe as long as you ride on rubber tyres, ie none condusive (and make sure not to put your feet on the ground?

Wouldn't you be safe as long as you ride on rubber tyres, ie none condusive (and make sure not to put your feet on the ground?

Nope. The charge is large enough to jump from the clouds to the earth, I am sure it would manage the few cms from your body to the ground.

You are safe in a car because it is a farraday cage. It is not the rubber that protects you.

Edited by igknot

Nope. The charge is large enough to jump from the clouds to the earth, I am sure it would manage the few cms from your body to the ground.

You are safe in a car because it is a farraday cage. It is not the rubber that protects you.

Exactly, won't help in the case of a direct strike. But it does help with step and touch potentials, two of the other mechanisms I spoke of. When lighting strikes the energy flows into the ground, but some also flows along the surface.... if you are a better conductor than the ground it will flow through you instead.

It's really bad when you're out cycling and it starts to rain and the wind blows all the rain in your face (OUCH)!!! :wacko:

Not fun, just try to avoid it if you can!

Plus if it rains hard, visability is very low, risk of getting hit by a car is much bigger. I would be more afraid of cars