Cycling clubs Fourways area

LONE TWO

Hi Ali Mclean

I am joining you guys tomorrow morning for the ride. What time do we need to be a CL?

See you tomorrow

Suggest you get there by about 5:50. First group goes at 6 but they are normally the racing snakes and the rest follows after.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay sold... I want to join you guys

Awesome! pls be at the Design Quarter lab by 5.50am. Look out for Maurice doign the announcing. Go up to him when he starts the announcing asking for guests/new members to come forward. All the marshals will be standing there ready to assist you. Andrew and I will see you next week (we will be in Hilton tonight - farewell school dinner) but are normally there. As from next weekend (9th Nov) the rides start from the new shop 500m away also at 6am, lots of givewayas at the coffee shop after the ride too for the opening. ENJOY!

Hi Ali Mclean

I am joining you guys tomorrow morning for the ride. What time do we need to be a CL?

See you tomorrow

Awesome! pls be at the Design Quarter lab by 5.50am. Look out for Maurice doign the announcing. Go up to him when he starts the announcing asking for guests/new members to come forward. All the marshals will be standing there ready to assist you. Andrew and I will see you next week (we will be in Hilton tonight - farewell school dinner) but are normally there. As from next weekend (9th Nov) the rides start from the new shop 500m away also at 6am, lots of givewayas at the coffee shop after the ride too for the opening. ENJOY!

Thanks :) I'll be joining you guys next Saturday - have a busy one tomorrow.

Looking forward to it!

Hi Mike.

I'm a marshal member of cycle lab. I hope you had a pleasant ride this morning. It's the busiest timed of year for cycling in JHB so I hope the numbers didn't fall you out too much.

I'd like to echo Ali's sentiments. Give all the clubs a go and pick the one that feels right.

On the side of CL I'd like to say that yes we are a big club. I think we must have taken up almost all the parking at DQ this morning but that is because we are 2 weeks away from the 94.7 so all the people that you never see for the rest of the year turn up to get fit or something :) I'm sure Club100 and the other clubs suffer the same fate.

• 4 weeks later...

Im in Bedfordview and looking to join a club. Please give me some advice. Do the Supercycling Club have group ride close to me.

Im in Bedfordview and looking to join a club. Please give me some advice. Do the Supercycling Club have group ride close to me.

Cycle Lab ride out of K90, by east rand mall. Nice group. You could also look at Edenglen.

I have been a member of Cycle Lab for about 10 years now, and yes - it was a racers club. But then - about six years ago - they made a concerted effort to look after the "average" rider. They instituted the ThinkBike marshals and official Club Marshals and really look after their members. So there's a fit for all - from social to real racing snake.

As for benefits, you can't do better. Full facilities and catering for 94.7, Argus and a few other races during the year. Club hospitality including drinks at lots of other races, freebies on Club rides a few times a year, TdF evenings, free Ride mag subscription, marshalled Club rides and tours, ...

I have been a member of Cycle Lab for about 10 years now, and yes - it was a racers club. But then - about six years ago - they made a concerted effort to look after the "average" rider. They instituted the ThinkBike marshals and official Club Marshals and really look after their members. So there's a fit for all - from social to real racing snake.

As for benefits, you can't do better. Full facilities and catering for 94.7, Argus and a few other races during the year. Club hospitality including drinks at lots of other races, freebies on Club rides a few times a year, TdF evenings, free Ride mag subscription, marshalled Club rides and tours, ...

Thanks

@supavan

Sorry late reply. My ride was very enjoyable and the marshals that were with me were very encouraging when I was battling. so all in all I did really enjoy.

Still thinking about a cycling club but will make a call in the new year

Thanks everyone for all the input

Have a rad day

• 4 years later...

Any update on CL for 2018? Are they still organised and friendly?

Switching from MTB to a road bike so need a great club so I can have fun while learning the rudiments of road cycling 

Any update on CL for 2018? Are they still organised and friendly?

Switching from MTB to a road bike so need a great club so I can have fun while learning the rudiments of road cycling 

Their groups are very large, and there are usually quite a few out on a Saturday. They have had some issues with members acting badly (pushing another athlete off her bike while passing) and just riding badly. CL are trying to fix this though. Not sure on the friendly bit. The faster groups always greet when passing. 

We all ride the cradle who does the maintenance. Sand, trees and potholes. Clubs should contribute. Who’s got a chain saw.

Thanks Steve, Tony for helping cut the foliage back along the cradle ride. We will be back next month with more people and more chain saws. 

We have already had a big impact on safety for our selves and other rides.

Thanks Again

Doc   

Archived