Making your own Indoor Rollers or Trainer Stands

Caerus

for whoever is filming it!

I don't see why it should end in tears at all, it's an easy thing to make, and will basically just cost me my time only. I enjoy making things and have all the machinery, tools and material at my disposal. Lots you can make with CNC Routers & Waterjet machines.

The same could apply for anyone buying a set of rollers,

I don't see why it should end in tears at all, it's an easy thing to make, and will basically just cost me my time only. I enjoy making things and have all the machinery, tools and material at my disposal. Lots you can make with CNC Routers & Waterjet machines.

The same could apply for anyone buying a set of rollers,

I'm just kidding, cos ANY rollers can be scary and end in disaster. The sound of home made ones seems to magnify that image in my head

I'm just kidding, cos ANY rollers can be scary and end in disaster. The sound of home made ones seems to magnify that image in my head

I've already had images in my head of me flying back into a wall and the bike still attached to my feet :w00t: I'll see how it goes.

• 1 month later...

Gave some instructions to my ballie, he made them.

They are not too bad. The rollers must be as stiff as possible, plastic gutter pipes are too flexible without reinforcing. I reinforced them by cutting a slightly shorter length of similar 80 mm pipe lengthwise, then pushing it into the center of the tubes, did this with two sections of pipe. It stiffened the tube greatly.

The belt can be made of a holdfast style strap that can be sewn in a loop. It needs pretty big guides either side of the belt to make sure it doesn't come off.

Also the MTB is much easier to ride than the road bike. Especially if the rollers are not perfectly round.

I will post a video tonight.

Cost was R300, I got bearings for free and the plastic guttering for free, so basically the wood and screws.

post-9767-0-03038400-1386600040_thumb.jpg

Nice work, well done :thumbup: . I had to put mine on hold due to work being too busy and another side project, will get this sorted out in the New Year.

I had a look at this a while ago. Turned out I was better off looking for a second hand unit. Plenty of unused trainers lying around out there gathering dust. You need to find the right one.

I picked up a fluid trainer minus the control knob for R350. Cost me R100 for a friction shifter and some gear cable. Couple of hours making a plan with an old handle bar mount and I'm sorted.

Oh and riding any type of trainer indoors is NOT fun. Doesn't matter what music you play.

Gave some instructions to my ballie, he made them.

They are not too bad. The rollers must be as stiff as possible, plastic gutter pipes are too flexible without reinforcing. I reinforced them by cutting a slightly shorter length of similar 80 mm pipe lengthwise, then pushing it into the center of the tubes, did this with two sections of pipe. It stiffened the tube greatly.

The belt can be made of a holdfast style strap that can be sewn in a loop. It needs pretty big guides either side of the belt to make sure it doesn't come off.

Also the MTB is much easier to ride than the road bike. Especially if the rollers are not perfectly round.

I will post a video tonight.

Cost was R300, I got bearings for free and the plastic guttering for free, so basically the wood and screws.

I see the bike wanders a bit on the rollers. i have seen these made with someting like a rollerblad wheel mounted at the ends of the rollers so that if you stray to far over you nudge the rollerblade wheel which turns and prevents you from going off the edge which will end very badly!!!

The wandering is not that bad, I was deliberately steering the bike around.

The rollers are easy to ride with the MTB. With the flexibility in the plastic roller, the speeds are very low. In this video I was about 10 km/h. So if you fall off, you stop immediately.

Having the wall next to you is also a big help.

I tried with the road bike and it was very hard to ride, the rollers must be perfectly round, which my ones are not round as the wood end fittings which were holding the bearings were not turned on a lathe.

The wandering is not that bad, I was deliberately steering the bike around.

The rollers are easy to ride with the MTB. With the flexibility in the plastic roller, the speeds are very low. In this video I was about 10 km/h. So if you fall off, you stop immediately.

Having the wall next to you is also a big help.

I tried with the road bike and it was very hard to ride, the rollers must be perfectly round, which my ones are not round as the wood end fittings which were holding the bearings were not turned on a lathe.

There is a company called EQ Agencies that sells industrial rollers like they would use for conveyors in a factory.

They are steel, running on bearings and would slot nicely into an aliminium or wooden frame. Not sure on pricing though.

These should solve the flexing.