Mavic Open Pro's/similar available locally?

Ryan

After making a study (by Google by Hub) of road wheel sets for the more gifted in the waist department, I have realized that finding open Pros/CXP33 etc is more difficult than I thought.

Anyone have an idea who, where, what can help me in sourcing strong rims, hubs and spokes and maybe a master in the ancient art of wheel building...preferably in RSA and even better KZN.

I have looked at importing from Velomine but I cant afford to cough up for something that may or may not ever arrive...

Yes I know...this question has probably been asked umpteen times...

Any help would be appreciated ..

Cheers

Edited by Ryanie

Thanks for the response Gummi..thats just the thing... I need the entire set, I was thinking of 105 or Ultegra...

Thanks for the response Gummi..thats just the thing... I need the entire set, I was thinking of 105 or Ultegra...

Why not buy some Mavik Aksium race wheels?

What"s your budget?

Those rims are available locally. They are not available as factory builds as far as I know so you will need to get them built up. You can also get the Italian DRC rims which are very similar to the Open Pro but less pricey. Velocity Fusion (Austrailian) are also an option (I priced them about two weeks ago at just under R1000 ea). If you want a durable wheel and are gifted as you say, go for more spokes. I built myself CXP 33's on 36 hole Dura Ace hubs (I had the hubs) and they are strong enough for a tandem. If you want me to quote you just drop me a pm.

Gummi, the Aksium race have a low spoke count, I am after at least 32 spoke rims...and I would prefer regular spokes that can be worked on (hopefully rarely) by most bike mechanics. I am not too concerned with the weight of the wheels...