Magalies adventure 2013

Flashfozzy

This latest email got me a little worried about the logistics. Moving away from mount grace to boys town, no more kiddies area, etc... I really hope the Leverage corp guys have their ducks in a row. Was hoping for a nice family friendly event.

Yea i must say, this is quite an overcomplicated setup. I am planning to drive through both days, and i mean it's not -that- far from Pta/Jozi (it's Hekpoort/Cradle area) and even i am surprised with all "do's and dont'" of this event. Right down to having to drive to CycleLab in Fourways between 12pm-5pm on a ONE specific day (midweek) to pick up registration and food vouchers and buy extra vouchers (or else you get no food there?) /boggle.

I am actually having to drive there right now. /sigh

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drop me a PM and I can give you some accommodation options. I did mail the organisers to say I can assist with accommodation options should people not be able to stay at Mount Grace but they never replied!

Thanks, when i entered i considered it, but in the end i decided i'll just drive through. It would have been nice if the organisers did offer more options since Mount Grace is like a 4-5 star lodge effect, not all MTBers tend to splurge on that kind of accomodation.

I've been offered a entry from a mate for free and im quite keen to do it. Do you know if there wil be late registration on the day.

According to the mails we got today was your only chance. But drop the organisers a mail, perhaps they can help you out. Or just ride under your mate's name.

Enjoyed my day out. Route was ok, well marked, with some single track, quite a lot of jeep track, nice scenery etc. Refreshment tables were pretty great with tonnes of energy bars, warm potatoes etc. The chicken burger lunch was surprisingly good. Overall no complaints....

For my fitness level (totally unprepared in other words), both days were pretty enjoyable. Day 1, alot of long open gravel farm roads going uphill with like a 2km 50kmh cement downhill at the end. I did not really find it that technical, a few rocky descents, but little singletrack. The view of all the rolling hills over there is quite a sight i must say.

The markings ,marshaling and waterpoints were probably a highlight for me. I was stuffed with biltong,potatos,energy bars and sweets by the end, they had it all. Also was quite comforting seeing those er24 cars driving around all over the place to help out.

Day 2, they kept talking about all this mud we are going to hit, i was as dry and as clean as can be all the way until the last 3km . I felt that carry-a-bike-a-thon with slipping and sliding in mud was kinda a waste at that point, shouldve just routed us around. Most of the route was again pretty much farm roads, with quite a bit of wind.

I did find all the sitting and the rumbling along on the farm roads made my back pretty sore , was hoping for more swooping single track where i could stand up out of the saddle more. I guess this is one od those races where a dual suspension comes in handy quite a bit.

Overall a fun ride .

I really thought Day 1 was a good route and very challenging considering the short distance. Day 2 was a bit of a let down with all of the corrugated district road on the way back and the marking in that last river crossing section was horrendous however when we finished and told the organisers they quickly went and fixed it :clap:

In all a great chilled event with good riding and awesome food. :w00t:

First 2 day race done! Was happy with the organisation, route marking and water points.

A broken chain 8km from the end of day 1 made for some fun.

But thanks to a pleasant couple who stopped to gjve me a quick link, i was on my way again.

Overall good fun. Will ride it again.

• 1 year later...

I have entered the Mount Grace Magalies adventure 2 day race at the end of November. It appears to have changed from previous years, both distance and sponsor.

Who else is doing this one?

Any tips on preparation ect, as this my first multi day race

Hi. Me and a friend entered the 50km race. This was a tough race for seeing that I was doing it with a 1x9 conversion with 11-32 cassette.

Archived