New road bike final decisions.. Help

paulmic

we need to get scientific here, to make an informed - that's right we need pics to see which one is the prettiest.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lampre maybe?

Yes you are right. A silly mistake, I still remember commenting on the pink stripes on the team bikes

Try and ride both bikes.

The foil is a very stiff bike....so much so that it hurts on long rides.

Never ridden a Merida so i can't compare.

There is nothing wrong with the 105 parts compared to the Ultegra.

Yes you are right. A silly mistake, I still remember commenting on the pink stripes on the team bikes

Fargin ugly colours on an otherwise beautiful bike!

Foil is one of the best best climbers out of the entire bunch but that comes with still and maybe not so comfortable ride if your going over 4 hours?

At this point in time it boils down to R18k (for the Merida) or R19k for the Scott. Would really like to have the Ultegra but I suppose I could live without :) At the end of the day it really is about the rider but I want something that will last.

There has been lots of feedback -THANK YOU EVERYONE!!

Looking forward to more views :)

I have the Scott CR1 Team, incredible frame! Very light, stiff and responsive...don't think I'd easily move away from it. Also the shock dampening system on the Scott's make a difference when riding longer distances, Foil should be very similar apart from aero benefits.

Ultimately you should test ride them both and see which you feel more comfortable on.

At this point in time it boils down to R18k (for the Merida) or R19k for the Scott. Would really like to have the Ultegra but I suppose I could live without :) At the end of the day it really is about the rider but I want something that will last.

There has been lots of feedback -THANK YOU EVERYONE!!

Looking forward to more views :)

With a saving of R1k for the Merida and the Ultegra groupset (Shifters, RD and FD) instead of FOIL with 105, I would not even think twice to take the MERIDA, but as the other guys mention...try to go for a test ride with both...have not ridden a FOIL yet sorry.

To upgrade from 105 to Ultegra you might look at between R5k and R8 to R10k later on (depending if you can find a decent groupset on the HUB for around R5k or a new set at a shop for the higher price...at the end of the day it's what is best for you...and what you want...and even the looks :thumbup: if you really want to compare, then take the FOIL and the Scultura 904 (Blue and White) "BOTH" with 105 components:

Foil = R19k

Scultura = R14 to 15k (just to compare...not suggesting this)

It looks like the FOIL has a standard crank (53/39)???

And the Scultura has a compact crank (50/34)

95% of the decision comes down to:

Once a SCOTT, always a SCOTT...once a MERIDA, always a MERIDA :whistling: :eek: :drool: good luck with the choices!!!

Edited by CASSIE1975

Not sure if this is an option, but I'd seriously consider 2nd hand. You should be able to get a full carbon, full dura-ace bike with nice wheels for R20k if it's two or three years old. Yes, it may not look as flashy (that Scott Foil is damn hot!) but you'll get years of service out of it. And it'll probably be lighter too - frame weight has not decreased that drastically since 2010.

I still love my 2nd hand 2006 Koga - only replaced the BB and a few chains in four years of ownership (and lots of riding)

With a saving of R1k for the Merida and the Ultegra groupset (Shifters, RD and FD) instead of FOIL with 105, I would not even think twice, but as the other guys mention...try to go for a test ride with both.

Cassie, are you saying you wouldn't think twice about getting the Merida?

Are

dont know much about the merida bike but i have been riding my foil for about a year and here's my view on the foil.

the only thing i can fault on this bike is the seatpost. it is a bit slippery and i had to apply carbon glue twice in 12 months.

the bike is really stiff, very fast and it is therefore a bit of a harsh ride. atleast you can be sure all your power is being transferred where you need it. it is light enough. with my race wheels the bike complete weighs 7.4kg.

hope this helps