2014 Giant Trance 27.5 2

nolipoli

Cool! I will look out for another shiny one on the trails here. Mine got broken in properly on Sunday. Had a little incident on the back descent at Hoogekraal. Got a little offline on one of the jumps. Scratches on the bars, brakes and rear derailleur. Doh! Everything still functions correctly. I guess if you buy a bike like this and you don't fall occasionally... then you're doing it wrong.

You can't ride within your limits all the time, your limits will never expand... :ph34r:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried a quick google search to see what the "reach" is for the Trance in M & L, but couldn't find anything.

Did a print out of the medium bike on the Giant website, measured & calculated the medium to have around 430-435mm.

If my calculations are correct then it means the large should be around 450-455mm.

That coupled with a 45-50mm stem should fit me fine then.

Did another google search which turned up this info on the SX (should be very much the same on normal Trances)

http://translate.google.co.za/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://downhill-rangers.com/news/75060-giant-trance-sx-27-5-2014-im-test.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dgiant%2Btrance%2Bsx%2Bmedium%2B27.5%2Breach%26biw%3D1676%26bih%3D860

Shows the reach to be 438mm.

Will some of you please measure this?

Medium as well as large please.

Just a quick couple questions:

How tall are you Trance owners & what size frame / do you ride?

Please add stem length as well.

With the steep-ish (virtual) seatpost angle being 73.5º, does any of you have an issue with a zero offset dropper post when trying to get the correct saddle position?

Got the new wheels on and went for a spin. 2.25/2.35 Hans Dampfs/Stans Flow Ex/Novatec micro engament hubs, converted to 142x12 in the back. All I can say is WOW. Wider rims make such a difference in handling. The back feels stiffer and the bike all round is more responsive. I didn't think the Trance could go any faster but I was way wrong. Joh.

How much was the conversion kit?

With the steep-ish (virtual) seatpost angle being 73.5º, does any of you have an issue with a zero offset dropper post when trying to get the correct saddle position?

1.73m and got a M... Fits perfectly,after a bit of fine tuning. My M Silverback always felt too small, but this Giant would have been too biig if I took a L.

Standard 70mm stem.

Dropper is perfect. Moved the seat quite far back though.

EDIT: Okay, site broken. I tried to quote you DubbelBuys...

How much was the conversion kit?

If i remember correctly, conversion was about R90 for the dropouts and about R500 I think for a DT Swiss thru axle. If you have an axle it's cheap as.

1.73m and got a M... Fits perfectly,after a bit of fine tuning. My M Silverback always felt too small, but this Giant would have been too biig if I took a L.

Standard 70mm stem.

Dropper is perfect. Moved the seat quite far back though.

EDIT: Okay, site broken. I tried to quote you DubbelBuys...

Cool.Do you use a setback dropper or inline?70mm is a tad long for me.Want to go with a short 45mm-50mm stem.

If i remember correctly, conversion was about R90 for the dropouts and about R500 I think for a DT Swiss thru axle. If you have an axle it's cheap as.

Don't have the axle unfortunately.Looks like 142mm x 12mm axles are specific to the frame it fits in.Ie: a Syntace might not work on a RS maxle (specific) frame.Or have I got it wrong?

Cool.Do you use a setback dropper or inline?70mm is a tad long for me.Want to go with a short 45mm-50mm stem.

Giant Contact Switch... Slightly set back. Thinking of trying a shorter stem too, maybe with slightly wider bars. Good or bad idea?

Giant Contact Switch... Slightly set back. Thinking of trying a shorter stem too, maybe with slightly wider bars. Good or bad idea?

Good idea.

No wait... EXCELLENT idea!

When going with wider bars you should go with shorter stem.

Given that your bike was setup properly before.

Checked on 1 site & saw it states the Giant droppers to have 12mm setback which is slightly less than the average setback seatposts.

Checked on 1 site & saw it states the Giant droppers to have 12mm setback which is slightly less than the average setback seatposts.

Just measured on mine... Looks like 20mm.

Good idea.

No wait... EXCELLENT idea!

When going with wider bars you should go with shorter stem.

Given that your bike was setup properly before.

I'm thinking this combo, with blue stem and grips. Or maybe red, so it doesn't look like I'm imitating the 2015 model...

post-23303-0-79510500-1410702291_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking this combo, with blue stem and grips. Or maybe red, so it doesn't look like I'm imitating the 2015 model...

attachicon.gifhandlebar-nitro-black_0.jpg

The dropper looked similar to their other seatposts which is 19mm (3/4") setback (if I'm correct)

I am also keen to try the Dartmoor stems, but might opt for a FUNN Strippa instead.

What's the bar width that the Trance came out with?

Is the 2015 the same?

The dropper looked similar to their other seatposts which is 19mm (3/4") setback (if I'm correct)

I am also keen to try the Dartmoor stems, but might opt for a FUNN Strippa instead.

Is the 2015 the same?

I was also game on a Strippa, but they're being phased out. Only colorful options left... And that was never gonna go with all the black... :)

post-34492-1410761522,939.jpg

Ended up with a 45mm funnduro! :)

Anyone taken theirs for a spin at bloemendal? That place is serious fun!

Is the 2015 the same?

The standard bar width is 730mm which is okay, but I am going to put on a 750mm with the 50mm stem I put on.

Just a quick couple questions:

1.82m - 83cm inseam (long legs & short torso) on a Large

I found the 70mm stem too long so changing to a 50mm

I have a Joplin 4 seatpost, which is offset backwards, but I am not sure how much.

Archived