[Event] Trans Karoo

Trans Karoo

Event Name: Trans Karoo
When: 26 April 2014
Where: Eselfontein, Ceres to Sutherland, Northern Cape
Category: MTB

Experience wide open spaces and incredible vistas like never before and join the elite group of riders that can claim that they have

"TAMED THE KAROO".

ENTRIES ARE NOW OPEN

for the

2014 TRANS KAROO

240KM - CERES TO SUTHERLAND - TEAMS AND SOLO RIDERS

4 CHECK POINTS - 2 SUPPORTER POINTS

visit www.transkaroomtb.co.za for all the details and entry options

Go to Event Page

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WHICH WAY IS SUTHERLAND?

2014 IS ONCE AGAIN AN "UP RIDE" WHICH MEANS THAT

YOU GONNA START IN CERES AND FINISH IN SUTHERLAND

Contrary to popular belief the up ride is actually a lot

easier than the down ride, as many an aspirant Trans Karoo

contender found out in 2013........Yes there is that little 8km,

1000m climb just 50km's from the finish, but hey what would

life be without an itsy bitsy teeny weeny challenge

along the way.

Clearly 2014 is the year of the 'karoo' as our entries are flowing in,

with lots of people returning to show Ouberg who is boss,

and a lot of first timers hoping to claim that

"they tamed the Karoo" after 240km.

For those of you who are still sitting on the fence.....here's

a few good reasons to enter right now:

- Serious bragging rights.....one of SA's longest events,

and you only have 17 hours in which to do it.

(Plenty of time if you not gonna stop for coffee, lunch, have a kip,

spend time with the kids.....you get the idea)

- Say you have actually been to Sutherland....c'mon how

many times have you flown over to the sound of "this is your

captain speaking and on the left we have Sutherland....."

or driven down the N1 and seen a board "Sutherland 250km"

opposite Matjiesfontein - but never actually been there??

- Make Chuck Norris look like a girl....show the guy who

has counted to infinity, twice, that numbers are for girls -

taming the karoo is for real men......and women.

(Notice that cunning side step to avoid being beaten up by the

girlfriend.....again)

- Experience the karoo....how did Dorothy put it - "we not

in Kansas anymore" - the karoo is another world with wide

open spaces, majestic landscapes and undiscovered gems -

you have no idea of the beauty until you experience

it on the back of a bike.

240km - Ceres to Sutherland - 4 Check Points - Teams and Solo's

ENTER NOW

Visit our website - www.transkaroomtb.co.za - get the info,

sort your entry and of course our tame, yet friendly, entries

manager is always on hand to answer any questions and queries.

Heres an FAQ which we are getting......... is there transport to Ceres and back from Sutherland?

Absolutely...... our mates at Day Trippers are putting on a special bus and bike service from Cape Town to Ceres and then from Sutherland to Cape Town.

This will include the rider, the bike and one medium sized bag............ visit www.transkaroomtb.co.za for all the details, or mail entries@fluency.co.za and Martin will take care of you.

• 2 months later...

Click on the Trans Karoo advert on thehubsa and stand a chance to win an entry to this years event..... remember you gotta be in it to win it!!

ENTRIES ARE OPEN AT www.transkaroomtb.co.za ...............If you not lucky enough to win an entry to this awesome event.

• 2 weeks later...

Things are really warming up out in the karoo….if Cape Town temperatures are anything to go y then they are bl**dy boiling actually!!

Speaking of warm ………… here’s a warm TK welcome to our partners for 2014…..the folks that make it possible for this sizzling event to take place

Sharron, Peter and the team at the Northern Cape Tourism Authority……. Welcome back folks and thanks for 3 years of great support.

To Chris and his crew at McCarthy Toyota Paarl – the new kids on the block with the Trans Karoo….welcome guys and with you we know that our rider boxes are in safe hands and are guaranteed to be delivered no matter what the terrain.

TRANS KAROO / FACEBOOK PREDICT YOUR TIME AND WIN

COMPETITION

Predict your time, post it on the Trans Karoo Facebook page – for all to see – and you could win big!!!!

For the person who gets the closest to their predicted time you will get a 50% refund on your 2014 entry and a free entry to the 2015 “Down Ride”………

Terms and conditions apply of course……… prize is applicable to all entrants of the Trans Karoo, irrespective of when they entered. All entrants must post their predictions on the Trans Karoo Facebook page, under the Predict Your Time and Win thread. Prize includes the cost of the entry fee only and excludes any travel and accommodation. Only fully paid for and confirmed entries are eligible for this competition. Competition becomes active on the confirmation of 20 event entries received after 25 February 2014.

So…… if you have entered already got to Facebook page, Predict Your Time and Win thread and put your money where your mouth is……. Then get your mates to enter in order to activate the competition.

7 training weekends left. Where or at what distance of training would you say should one be at this stage.

Since I'm new to these ultra distance races I bought a Fittrack program for guidance/purpose in my training. In short you should be able to ride at least a 4hr & 3hr ride on consecutive days according to them. There is more to it than that though. DaleE has posted a nice overview of his approach on Slowbee's thread http://www.thehubsa....hl__trans karoo, but I get the idea his target is more than just a finish.

The Fittrack plans are not expensive and it seems like good guidance for a noob like me. I will find out if it worked somewhere between Ceres and Sutherland, but for now it is more than my own experience. Hope this helps...

Since I'm new to these ultra distance races I bought a Fittrack program for guidance/purpose in my training. In short you should be able to ride at least a 4hr & 3hr ride on consecutive days according to them. There is more to it than that though. DaleE has posted a nice overview of his approach on Slowbee's thread http://www.thehubsa....hl__trans karoo, but I get the idea his target is more than just a finish.

The Fittrack plans are not expensive and it seems like good guidance for a noob like me. I will find out if it worked somewhere between Ceres and Sutherland, but for now it is more than my own experience. Hope this helps...

I also use the Fittrack plans, haven't done the TransKaroo before but have finished other long distance events comfortably with their plans.

Will also be doing the 4h & 3h training sessions over weekends (when my social calender allows it!)

I was really worried about transport. Will check day trippers tomorrow. If there is space I think I am in.

Hi Copperhead - Not sure if you have entered yet or not but there is definitely still place left on the Day Tripper bus. You can email entries@fluency.co.za for all the info.

Edited by Trans Karoo

Hi All

An important news flash regarding the Paarl Toyota Box Service for this years event has just been released.......... the boxes are now being delivered to CP2 and CP4.

Please check your newsletters and if you are not yet a subscriber please subscribe on our website, www.transkaroomtb.co.za, to ensure that you get all the updates as they happen.

Edited by Trans Karoo

COMPETITION

Predict your time, post it on the Trans Karoo Facebook page – for all to see – and you could win big!!!!

So…… if you have entered already got to Facebook page, Predict Your Time and Win thread and put your money where your mouth is……. Then get your mates to enter in order to activate the competition.

(Please like our Facebook page while you are there....we trying to crack 400 likes!!)

ENTRIES ARE NOW OPEN!!!!!

www.transkaroomtb.co.za

Edited by Trans Karoo

We do 5 to 6 hrs in the saddle on sundays. 3 to 4 hrs during the week. Tuesday and thursday 1,5 to 2 hrs fast ride in hills. 6 km mountian pass in Woseley every sunday. Not doing well. Still feeling vrek after 120km with 20km/hr avg. What am I doing wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a further boarding call ……… all aboard who’s going aboard for the 2014 Trans Karoo

The start line is getting closer and closer so here are some reminders of what you need to do……. or not do, in order to ensure you get to have a fantastic ride through the karoo.

Registration

Date: Wednesday 23 April 2014

Time: 18H00 – 20H00

Venue: Cape Union Mart Adventure Centre, Canal Walk

Format: Registration will open at 18H00 for you to collect your race

number and race pack, with snacks and drinks once again

being provided courtesy of the team from Cape Union

Mart

The Race briefing will be at 19H00 so bring all of your

questions and queries with….. you know that you won’t be

the only one wondering about that same thing.

What else should you remember to do that evening??

- Collect your two
McCarthy Toyota Paarl
check point

boxes.

- Check in with the
EMO Team
and make sure that they have your medical details - better safe than sorry.

- Get any last minute items such as lights, space blanket, med kit etc, etc from the large range on offer at
Cape Union Mart

If you do happen to miss the Cape Town registration then you can collect your gear from Ceres on Friday 25 April……. check out the website for all the details.

www.transkaroomtb.co.za

Medical Kits

We always get asked what must go into the medical kits, as they can be bulky to carry.

Remember this will be your life line should something go wrong for you out on the road and we don’t expect you to be able to perform open heart surgery, unless you are Bear Grylls of course. (Chuck Norris wouldn’t need a med kit for this!!)

So here is what we suggest you have:

- Whistle

- Space Blanket

- Paracetamol Tablets

- Anti-Histamine Tablets

- Plasters

- Antiseptic Cream

- Bandage.

It is also good to carry a cell phone as you may find some reception out there.

REMEMBER THAT THE

COMPETITION

IS STILL ON

ENTRIES ARE STILL OPEN!!!!!

(But seriously – you are cutting it fine!!)

www.transkaroomtb.co.za

2014 Trans Karoo Tip #6

Be nice to Theo……he’s the guy that is feeding you – and he is also a friggen big oke!!

Edited by Trans Karoo