Tokai trails and closures

(Deon)

"Hi Deon

The felling of the pines in C16 [snake trails] presented us with a good opportunity to make minor realignments to the existing Mtb trails in that area taking into account our biodiversity objectives. As you are aware, the remaining section of the Snake trail (Rinkals) traverses through a restored fynbos area and will be subject to much stricter conditions (impact assessments are required if the affected area is more than 30 sq. m). For this reason we cannot allow any further realignments or additions to the existing trails until the path rationalisation process has been completed.

In the mean time I suggest we concentrate on maintaining the existing trails in a good condition (including maintenance on wooden bridges and removal of old and broken structures lying around) and closing of illegal trails which continue to pop up all over the place. Obviously the path rationalisation process needs to be fast-tracked, which I will try to do from my side.

Regards,

Sandra Hollermann

Manager: Tokai Section"

I have over the last few months distanced myself from the illegal trails in Tokai, in fact the only reason why I ever made it my issue was to get the approval of the previous management of Tokai to agree on keeping the Downhill 3 trail in exchange for closing the "horse trails" (which is how they are formed) and getting the buy-in from the guys who were developing it.

(Just as a quick background, we were in the process of realigning the upper Downhill trail and working our way down to DH3 to install suitable water management which had never been done before, when I took a call from TMNP saying that the level of damage during the recent winter showed that the DH3 trail was unsustainable and that it would be closed and rehabed back to Fynbos. Since DH3 track was pine cleared and set in Fynbos there was no option of realigning it for sustainability, (which would mean cutting a new line to allow the trail to switch instead of following the fall-line down the mountain which is not really a typical DH anyway..) long story short, I sat in various meetings and finally managed to convince TMNP that the trail would not only be repaired but correct water management would make the trail sustainable (which it has). In true give 'n gain style, the DH was repaired and passed the inspection but on proviso that the the illegal trails be closed. Cap Mayhem and myself closed 3 levels of illegal trail and all was well until the Snake trails were logged at the start of 2013.)

Understandably, with the loss of a massive amount of singletrack in Jan 2013, riders went in search of more trails and the illegal trails were duly opened. This coincided with a misunderstood request from the horse riders' assoc. to log their trail circuit for a map of common trails, and a whole host of new trails were ridden in. The mountain bikers found these too and soon I was called in to rectify the situation. Again, I found myself defending the rider's actions, asking for leniency while the snake trails were being logged. Parks could not and would not condone the use of these trails but it would seem did not proactively discourage its use either, until it was found that riders were building new illegal trails. Parks then closed the trails and erected signs stating no mountain biking permitted, which was ignored.

The email you read above is a less-than-subtle way of saying that we have tried enforcing the no ride areas and now that it has been ignored, we are making the closure of the trails your problem Deon. Give 'n gain seems to have been raised in a very similar fashion to the way it was 2 years ago on the DH trail and I will soon be sitting in yet more meetings to try justify the continued existence of Rinkhals.

Before anyone jumps to quote the loss of revenue the park will sustain by not approving the Rinkhals trail restoration, please understand both sides - that while we have needs, so too does conservation. Not only is Tokai a recreation gold mine, but the seed bank that will soon sprout where the Pines once stood is a conservation gem. It is estimated that timber has been harvested in certain compartments for up to 120 years, which means that the natural growth has not been seen for that length of time. A good example of what this means to a conservationist is in the Silvertree, where ALL trees you see growing on the peninsula is a hybridized version and the last hope for restoring the true endemic species lies in the ground in Tokai. If it means nothing to you, that just means it is not your job to conserve or protect. There are several other species which is quite high up on the Red Data endangered list which will be lost without this move to restoration. How difficult or how long this process takes could be anyone's guess, so there is no reason to make it any harder than it needs to be by flaunting the rules.

Of course this does not mean that cycling will be pushed out and the place will become a no-go zone to bikes, in fact quite the opposite. With the correct management and measures, Tokai can continue to be a recreational area where people get to enjoy the efforts of conservation while doing what they love most. But what will hurt this process is the sheer defiance shown by those who pull signs out the ground to re-open a trail that is clearly a sore point to the landowner.

Now I need to be the face of TMNP closing the trails. (my sarcasm is a bit rusty so all tones aside, I will probably be the most unloved person in mountain biking). While I can only surmise why Parks want these trails closed, I think an overwhelmig reason is that it goes against the terms of us uing the park. There are safety reasons too I'm sure, but the most simple of reasons should be the starting point. If we are to ever hope to legally gain more trails in TMNP land, then we should do the most basic of requirements and start sticking to the agreement. Parks have shown commitment in the past, give 'n gain is their game and they play by the rules. The DH3 trail was for all purposes closed!

I have decided that I will start with the trails that lead to and from all legal trails, starting on Boulders where a trail leads from a green graded trail down onto a black graded trail, something that should not be allowed whether legal or not. The closures will co-incide with new signage that has taken the best part of a year to get approval on. These are in for printing now and it is hoped that by the end of November will be in the ground, certainly on the Downhill trail.

This is the part where I make a plea to the cyclists using Tokai to please respect these closures. If it is closed, please understand the reason for it and that it was cycling funds that paid for its closure. Yes, a waste of money I know, but if we are now the new users of these trails then I guess it is required. I will hold my thumbs in hope that it is not needed twice because that will just prove that as a group we cannot be trusted - which may have further reaching effects for all current and future trails on Table Mountain..

I apologise in advance.

Edited by Pain or shine

So in a nutshell the olympic levels of stupidity and arrogance being shown by the few that decide to do their own thing endangers everybody's chances of riding decent trails in the future?

Or something like that.

It makes new trails a whole lot harder to get. There is enough trust that the majority will adhere though.

Edited by Pain or shine

A while ago a track appeared joining up with Faerie Garden just after the troll bridge (yes I know i have an obsession with Faerie garden but thats just cos I keep wrecking my bike there for some reason) where did it come from? I wanted to ride it but havent because I'm not sure if its legal or not? I think something that may be contributing to the problem is that a lot of the legal trails are not even marked anymore ..if we had a situation where all the legal trails were marked properly then it would quite simply be a case of if it ain't marked don't ride it, would apply, understandably after the logging all the signage kinda went to hell. Boulders which is legal (I hope) is not marked and unless you have been riding Tokai for a while and are familiar with the various trails you wouldn't know whats legal or not???? By the sounds of it you have a heckava time getting approval for signage and then get blasted when illegal trails pop up all over the place when quite simply all thats required is some decent signage.. But all Kudos to you for the job you have been doing Deon, I for one appreciate all the work you have put in.

yeah, signs have been a major sticking point. Fact is that MTB signage for the whole TMNP reserve has been developed at Tokai. This is the main reason it has taken so long. Yes, it will soon be easy to say that if it is not signposted, you may not ride it but I sit in two camps over this issue concerning the Snake trails. Guys needed a place to ride. Now that the Snakes are almost all connected (not complete, not by a long-shot) it is time to make the switch back to legal trails.. Just think, if we can prove responsibility, we can be trusted. Life would be easier..

I know that once the illegals are logged, we won't really have this issue, it is however now more about proving our intensions to get the trails in the areas we have been asking for for years!

Purely coincidentily I had a PM hissy fit in Deon's direction earlier after spending some time on a (legal) trimming exercise in Fairy Garden earlier today. If a first time rider was to head off up there it would be an easy mistake taking a wrong turn on one of the new 'branches' of trail appearing up there.

How one guy can look after and police the whole thing is beyond me as there seems to be a fairly determined effort to just do what ever people feel like regardless of the ramifications.

Signage may help but judging by the number of guys riding down the jeeptracks with fairly large and obvious 'No cycling' signs I'm not sure it is the answer. Either that or there is a large proportion of middle aged white males with an urgent need to seek help from the nearest optometerist.

Hey marko35s, just to make this clear for all reading, this is not my responsibility but if I was to leave it to Parks to police, we may find that their frustration could cause the new ranger to become as hard-arsed about all matters cycling as was the case with the previous ranger. He developed a definite dislike for a particular group of riders and would lay blame at any opportunity whether founded or not. I would very much like to avoid a repeat of this skewed view, it is counter-productive and just leaves everyone bitter.

Besides, I have basically been told to close them so will focus on the ones that affect the legal trails... : (

The list of legal trails affected by illegal trails: Fairie Garden, Boulders & Lizzard

Edited list.

Edited by Pain or shine

Guest Omega Man

A while ago a track appeared joining up with Faerie Garden just after the troll bridge (yes I know i have an obsession with Faerie garden but thats just cos I keep wrecking my bike there for some reason) where did it come from? I wanted to ride it but havent because I'm not sure if its legal or not? I think something that may be contributing to the problem is that a lot of the legal trails are not even marked anymore ..if we had a situation where all the legal trails were marked properly then it would quite simply be a case of if it ain't marked don't ride it, would apply, understandably after the logging all the signage kinda went to hell. Boulders which is legal (I hope) is not marked and unless you have been riding Tokai for a while and are familiar with the various trails you wouldn't know whats legal or not???? By the sounds of it you have a heckava time getting approval for signage and then get blasted when illegal trails pop up all over the place when quite simply all thats required is some decent signage.. But all Kudos to you for the job you have been doing Deon, I for one appreciate all the work you have put in.

No that's definitely not a legal trail.

Pretty much anything south of the main long boring road (save for one or 2 trails) is illegal.

Hey marko35s, just to make this clear for all reading, this is not my responsibility but if I was to leave it to Parks to police, we may find that their frustration could cause the new ranger to become as hard-arsed about all maters cycling as was the case with the previous ranger. He developed a definite dislike for a particular group of riders and would lay blame at any opportunity whether founded or not. I would very much like to avoid a repeat of this skewed view, it is counter-productive and just leaves everyone bitter.

Besides, I have basically been told to close them so will focus on the ones that affect the legal trails... : (

The list is.. Fairie Garden, Boulders & Lizzard

only three trails are legal? are the snakes not legal? I think I am misundertsanding something here? Surely?

Maybe we need a full list of what is legal and what is not? Just to clarify things for everyone? or am I just being silly. Surely everything on that signpost at the arboretum is legal?

Some guys don't realise that they're making use of someone else's land. Just because you pay to ride, it doesn't mean you can do what ever you like. Over the week end a landowner shut down about 6km of tygerberg singletrack running over his land because of one member not playing by the rules (It doesn't help that the member was rude to the landowner when confronted either :) ).

Hi Craig, I have a feeling that the outcome of this will be better than the Kliprug incident. Sad that it should happen but as you say, it is their land..