Giant anthem x4 versus Giant trance x4

Tibi

What I omitted to say, is that whilst I would ride my Trance at Modderfontein, N Farm, Spruit etc IE anywhere, I never take my Anthem to van Gaalen and attempt to ride down Oom Piet's, Greek Church etc

If I was to choose one of the two, it would be the Trance, with it's very plush suspension.

• 2 weeks later...

I just cannot decide between Anthem 29 X1 or Trance 27.5 2 ... can't get used to the color scheme on the Trance 27.5 1. So the Anthem has better components, but the Trance just seems like a more playful bike.

I ride an old Schwinn Mesa hardtail from 2005, been to van Gaalens/Red Barn etc. and made it through, though it's a HARD ride haha. The fork sucks, and those 26 wheels certainly need some peddaling to keep up with EVERYONE on 29'ers.

Looking at doing some races here and there, and ride in town (some tar some dirt next to road) and on week-ends at dedicated mtb places.

Would the Trance 27.5 be the option ? What about the 29'er Trance?

Edited by Kraggie

I just cannot decide between Anthem 29 X1 or Trance 27.5 2 ... can't get used to the color scheme on the Trance 27.5 1. So the Anthem has better components, but the Trance just seems like a more playful bike.

I ride an old Schwinn Mesa hardtail from 2005, been to van Gaalens/Red Barn etc. and made it through, though it's a HARD ride haha. The fork sucks, and those 26 wheels certainly need some peddaling to keep up with EVERYONE on 29'ers.

Looking at doing some races here and there, and ride in town (some tar some dirt next to road) and on week-ends at dedicated mtb places.

Would the Trance 27.5 be the option ? What about the 29'er Trance?

I would stick to a trance. If you feel a 29er will give you an advantage for the type of riding you do, then get the 29er trance.

Thanks Cpt mayhem; excellent summary. Agree about the forks; my RS have been great.

Saw them bikes yesterday and had to hold onto my credit card that seems to have a life of its own. That 27.5 Trance was fairly vacuuming it out of my pocket.