Rogue riders: how to find a workable solution?

Cassie

When EMBA started I am sure the uptake was not as huge as today.

However the biggest thing is that these are daily working farms, they cant have tens of thousands of people just roaming around with EMBA boards.

At some stage it hampers the farmers ability to commercially operate, and endangering people, lawsuits because a tractor or cane truck took out a group of cyclists, etc....

It is easier for the farms to not have us there at all............... EMBA allows us to have a harmonious coexistence, everyone benefits.

Interesting, I like the integrated system you have, I just don't like the idea of limiting the numbers

Yes, I get that you don't want the farms swamped with thousands of riders (although I don't think we are quite there yet in terms of numbers of people riding) but limiting the numbers will also make it difficult for people who actually want to pay to ride trails legally, nevermind the rogue riders looking for an excuse not to pay.

I think there are other ways of limiting numbers on popular trails rather than restricting membership.

Edit - Just to add, at Tygerberg we have a few 1000 members (don't know the exact numbers), but I rarely see more than a few riders at any given time on the trails, even on weekends.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting, I like the integrated system you have, I just don't like the idea of limiting the numbers

Yes, I get that you don't want the farms swamped with thousands of riders (although I don't think we are quite there yet in terms of numbers of people riding) but limiting the numbers will also make it difficult for people who actually want to pay to ride trails legally, nevermind the rogue riders looking for an excuse not to pay.

I think there are other ways of limiting numbers on popular trails rather than restricting membership.

Edit - Just to add, at Tygerberg we have a few 1000 members (don't know the exact numbers), but I rarely see more than a few riders at any given time on the trails, even on weekends.

Fair enough...

I cant comment on the actual number of riders they allow to register because I don't know that bit of information and would be pure speculation.

BUT, just to add one thing regarding the rogue riders... I have seen this before, and usually see patrol bakkies.... However it seems this year they kicked up their pursuit of rogue riders, they have a bakkie with which if you dont have a board they stop you and pick you up and drive you out of the trails drop you off again where you came from...

So I get it. Tygerberg guys are very protective of the work, costs and effort to create, maintain and have access to their trails. Fair enough. I get that, but what I don’t get is their flaming of everyone who does not happen to agree with their view that membership is the only option. One bloke from Gauteng states he does not want to belong to a club, but he pays to ride when required. If he chooses to do it the expensive way, let him be. KZN shares how they do it (seems to be working for them) and again he is flamed.

The solution is simple. If certain routes and trails are exclusive, its exclusive. Paid up membership = access, period. There is no need to justify or grovel about. If there are routes and trails with conditional access, conform and ride. Again it is not necessary to justify the conditions. If you do not, you are not welcome and that is the end of the story. Go and ride on open public roads and do not moan if your own choices restrict your access.

So I get it. Tygerberg guys are very protective of the work, costs and effort to create, maintain and have access to their trails. Fair enough. I get that, but what I don’t get is their flaming of everyone who does not happen to agree with their view that membership is the only option. 

You have it wrong, some of the landowners specifically requires that only club members have access to their property and that day visitors are not allowed - it's not the club's decision to make. 

Fair enough...

I cant comment on the actual number of riders they allow to register because I don't know that bit of information and would be pure speculation.

BUT, just to add one thing regarding the rogue riders... I have seen this before, and usually see patrol bakkies.... However it seems this year they kicked up their pursuit of rogue riders, they have a bakkie with which if you dont have a board they stop you and pick you up and drive you out of the trails drop you off again where you came from...

I love this!!  I so wish that thsi can be implemented on every trail...end of rogue riding...

PS: they must sommer chuck the bike onto the back of the bakkie!! No pussyfooting around with Mr Rogue's R50k machine..."get in and get out!" and shutup

ha ha ha....1000 likes

Archived