Tandem: Is any groupset ok?

Willief

I have a CKT carbon tandem, but not happy with the groupset (Microshift White). Can one put any groupset on a tandem? I'm looking at the 105's and Ultegra's being advertised on The Hub

It's just the stoker's crankset that's different AFAIK. Everything else is standard stuff.

AFAIK?? Please pardon my ignorance.

Should be able to run the standard groupset , triple crankset and levers to match.Biggest issue is that the big blade you might be spinning out and alot of us run the 55 or 56 tooth blade.Other maybe issue might be the bb and what is accepted by you bike?

I have a CKT carbon tandem, but not happy with the groupset (Microshift White). Can one put any groupset on a tandem? I'm looking at the 105's and Ultegra's being advertised on The Hub

You can use any groupset with the following exceptions:-

Long cage rear derraileur.

A front derraileur that has enough throw to handle the larger chainblades some Tandems use.

Further considerations:-

Tandem specific hubs and rims. 36 to 42 spokes. Rolf makes Tandem specific racing wheels. Check mass limitations.

A brake attenuator if you use v-brakes.

Tandem specific front fork.

Use of a Shimano Flight Deck Cycling Computer to enable the Captain to see in which gear you are.

@droo...... the whole crankset, fore and aft, is different from any half bike crankset.

@droo...... the whole crankset, fore and aft, is different from any half bike crankset.

You learn something new every day...

Yeah the cranksets are a bit different, both stoker & captain, so you need a tandem specific crankset.

But you might be able to stick with the cranks you have - Not sure what chainrings are compatible with them.

Derailleurs : Keep in mind that tandems require longer gear cables. This means a decent spring in derailleurs is useful to pull those cables back through their housings. Both ultegra and 105 gearsets should be fine for this. I've ridden Ultegra with no problems. Just make sure those cables run smoothly.

Consider the rear gear ratios you ride. Some tandems use a MTB rear derailleur just for the longer cage so as to handle a bigger cassette than we tend to use on road bikes. I think Ultegra handles up to 28t.

Hope this helps.

Oh, another thing, please do not use kempekkernoglia thingies on a tandem. The quality is not good enough to handle the rigours of long bikes.

I've noticed that the clamp on my front derraileur (Ultegra) is specifically marked "Tandem"

I have no idea why this is or if anything is actually different,

but might be worth checking out...