How much oil in brake line

awesme

Yes

only one bike

but have learned having the right tools makes a tricky job allot easier. so I rather invest and know i can do it properly first time, without damaging things, or putting rider at risk.

G

Yip that should do the trick. Do you have an Avid bleed kit? A bit expensive, but worth it if you have a few bikes to take care of.

DONE, and even inserted the spacers. aren't you proud of me.

G

No expert but one tip I can give is TAKE.THE.BRAKE.PADS.OUT before you start :blush:

And having lots of tools is NICE :D

G

Yes

only one bike

but have learned having the right tools makes a tricky job allot easier. so I rather invest and know i can do it properly first time, without damaging things, or putting rider at risk.

G

No expert but one tip I can give is TAKE.THE.BRAKE.PADS.OUT before you start :blush:

Good point. Not mentioned in the procedure?? But take the pads out, push pistons completely in and insert a bleed block into the caliper. Thats where it is handy having the bleed kit as it comes with a variety of bleed blocks as well.

DONE, and even inserted the spacers. aren't you proud of me.

G

Yea I see you never really needed any help. This thread was actually to boast about your DIY skills and tools. :devil:

hehehe, nope

I prepped last night, but haven't started yet. got side trcked last night when Alberton lost power and I was standing in the dark.

Just wondered earlier how much oil the line holds, knowing I will want to fill it all the way to the brake level without having to refill syringe, which might/would prob then ended in introducing air into the system.

once's done with the Cannondale (Avid Elixir 5's) I need to do my Pyga (Shimano XT's) also .

G

Yea I see you never really needed any help. This thread was actually to boast about your DIY skills and tools. :devil:

stuck at work, will do this afternoon/evening when home and can get wife to look after little one.

G

Now stop posting and go bleed your brakes. :thumbup:

stuck at work, will do this afternoon/evening when home and can get wife to look after little one.

G

Ja work can really get in the way of the real pleasures in life, like working on and riding ones bike. Bit of a catch 22 really, because without it I would'nt be able to afford my bikes. Oh well.....

I'm really curious as to wether or not the Avid bleed procedure will work on the XT's. I see the XT's have some other contraption, some sort of vacuum funnel/pump?

I've done small scale bleeding on the XT's when I shortened the lines, after initial build.

Will have to go through the google and youtube videos again and then see/attempt.

but doubt the same procedure will work, syringes def won't.

G

Ja work can really get in the way of the real pleasures in life, like working on and riding ones bike. Bit of a catch 22 really, because without it I would'nt be able to afford my bikes. Oh well.....

I'm really curious as to wether or not the Avid bleed procedure will work on the XT's. I see the XT's have some other contraption, some sort of vacuum funnel/pump?

So the Cannondale/Avid's are done,

Not sure how hard the brake should feel, did it according to the video's...

Had to set the reach afterwards to get them to bite early on...

Next is the Pyga/Shimano

G

So the Cannondale/Avid's are done,

Not sure how hard the brake should feel, did it according to the video's...

Had to set the reach afterwards to get them to bite early on...

Next is the Pyga/Shimano

G

You are supposed to turn the reach almost all the way in before you bleed so it is normal to have to turn it out again after. Brakes should be firm if all the air is out the system.

Snip, snip.....

Just wondered earlier how much oil the line holds, knowing I will want to fill it all the way to the brake level without having to refill syringe, which might/would prob then ended in introducing air into the system.

πr² x length of hydraulic hose