Lane splitting on bicycle .... do you do it ?

mudda

You actually place yourself in more danger approaching an intersection being on the far left. This is the zone where taxi doors open and people filter out without looking left or right.

I know this from first hand experience.

Do I filter lanes? Damn right!

Strobe lights, especially on the front, also help a hell of a lot in traffic, far more than 'visible' clothing. In my experience anyhow.

You actually place yourself in more danger approaching an intersection being on the far left. This is the zone where taxi doors open and people filter out without looking left or right.

I know this from first hand experience.

Do I filter lanes? Damn right!

Not necessarily, in some intersections where the taxis intend to turn right, they'll get in the turn lane and passengers disembark from there to weave through cars to get to the left side of the road. Super dangerous for the passengers, and any cyclists not aware.

I lane split if there's no room on the left and I'm sure the traffic is not going to move faster than me.

Edited by 2wheelsgood

The coolest is splitting lanes to the front and then creeping over the red robot. That way nobody gets hurt.

• 1 month later...

If theres a gap, take it.

BUT

Don't get in anybodies way.

Be aware of a exit

Pedestrians are unpredictable

And yea, why do dudes in fancy cars have to race you??? trying to overtake 10 meters before stop streets and stuff.

Most entertaining when they HAVE to overtake on a road with speed-bumps down it.

Try cycle Randburg to Sandton during peak hour and not lane split. You simply wont get anywhere. Thats why you want a bicycle so you can lane split and get to work in 30 minutes instead of 60 minutes.

What grates me on a road like Jan Smuts, is riding on the left and having some twat on my wheel riding a scooter.

Cycle pacing?