Mecahnical Course

S Works

Morning all,

Was wondering if any-one of a bicycle mechanical course presently happening to broaden my knowledge of how my bike works.

Thanks

smiley2.gif 

I know that Fritz Pienaar in PTA offer bike maitenance courses, but that doesn't help you, so ........ why don't you approach one of the more reputable LBS's in CT to see if they offer such courses.

Phone Bowmans (021) 423 2527, ask to speak to Lee, he is one of the very few Qualified Mechanics in this country. He is UCI accredited as well as any number of other accreditaions. Get hold of him, he will help you out. Tell him Gavin said you must call.

I would be interested in hearing about a possible course. Let us know if there is something like that in CT.

Hmm, interesting thought. Personally I dont work on my own bike, car,motorbike,roller skates,pogo stick,skate board,tricycle,fish tank or dog kennel but that dos not mean I wouldnt be interested in learning a bit about it.

I think a basic mechanical course for cyclists would be a great idea - I wonder if its done up here.??

It gos without saying though I would only attend if the person giving the course had some sort of official??? (is there such a thing) recognition, in my experience of bicycle mechanics most strike me as been self trained at best and rather scary at worst.

There are official accreditaions that need to be attained if you want to work overseas, where it's seen as an actual proffession. I think in nthe whole of SA there are about 10 people with official training, and in official training I don't include Barnett's, all they really teach you about is the torque wrench. Not that this is a bad thing, just that it most certainly isn't the only thinng when it comes to working on bikes, as I said on my previous post give Lea a call and he can help you out.

By "OFFICIAL" training, I assume you mean an apprenticeship of some sort??

I would really hope this is the case, I mean you have to undergo a 5 year apprenticeship to work on someones 1975 VW Beatle worth about R3000.00, but shops seem to think its fine to let an unskilled worker loose on someones R30,000.00 (or more) high end, very fragile carbon bicycle.smiley21.gif

Makes me a bit nervous!  

No by official I do not mean an apprenticeship at all, in fact the young man in question has been trained at Cannondale. He's been to Rockshock, he's been to SRAM, all of this for official accreditation. He's done the Barnett's course as well as the UCI official course. In fact as stated above give him a call and ask him what he's done. Get a second opinion ask FatCyclist what he thinks of this young man's ability. He's worked in 3 different countries and helped out the Mechanic for the Siemens Cannondale team at the Epic in between doing all of his own work there.

Dont get me wrong Titus, I am not suggesting he is not knowledgable or able to do the job.I mean there are literally thousands of "backyard mechanics" around and some are actually very competant even though they may have no formal or "official apprenticeship" training.

I dont think I would take my 2006 BMW there, but.......................sure, there are some probably as good as any formally trained mechanic.

So no I am not doubting his (or anyones) ability.

What I really wanted to know was"is there any officially recognised training for bicycle mechanics which would be affiliated to say the dept of manpower or a trade organisation"??

If not (and I am assuming "no") do you not think its rather a worrysome situation, whereby a shop could effectively get their domestic, untrained gardener, give him a few shifting spanners and let him loose on your very expensive and very sought after bicycle.?

Yeah Porky, I do agree with you 100%. You know only 2 people are allowed to work on my bikes though, I'm one and he's the other. Unfortunatley I just don't trust anyone else.

Sure, I think its a lot like anything, find a good restaurant and you go there all the time, find a good mechanic and of course thats who you want working on your bicycle.

............but I still wonder on the "apprenticeship" thing, maybe someone else knows?

Hi guys and Dolls,

Thanks for the comments and thoughts. In conjunction with Weldtite, Life Development Academy, PPA and the thus far Dept. of Transport, I'm co-ordinating and will be presenting along with other qualified persons, a national 6 level Bicycle Mechanical Course which is accredited in the UK. Thses courses will be presented to persons like us, regular riders and to disadvantaged communities with the aim of educating the commuters and possible job creation. Would you support such an initiative? 

Hi guys and Dolls' date='

Thanks for the comments and thoughts. In conjunction with Weldtite, Life Development Academy, PPA and the thus far Dept. of Transport, I'm co-ordinating and will be presenting along with other qualified persons, a national 6 level Bicycle Mechanical Course which is accredited in the UK. Thses courses will be presented to persons like us, regular riders and to disadvantaged communities with the aim of educating the commuters and possible job creation. Would you support such an initiative? 
[/quote']

I'm definately in, where when and how do I sign up?