My new Softail MTB

Accelerate

Yes, I have also seen the bike in the classified section. I went to the Giant bicycles demo day at Delvera yesterday. I went with a open mind, eager to test the 650 anthem and trance. What an absolute let down. Did a loop with the 650 Anthem, then 650b trance, then the 29er Anthem. Was about 2 minutes faster on the 29er anthem than the 650 anthem, trance was nowhwere. Then i took my own bike, 29er Spez Stumpjumper carbon on the same loop after three test rides in the heat, 5 minutes faster than the 29er Anthem. Everyone i spoke to said they could not justify buying a 27,5 over their 26, and no-one wanted to change their 29er for the 650b. So I have experience riding all the wheel sizes, and my preference is 29er by n country mile.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

post-45691-0-36579300-1386148678_thumb.jpg

Yesterday I got my new ride. I trade in my my Felt 29" Carbon Harttail for a new 27.5" Carbon Cube Softail. This morning I went for my first ride and I must say I was struggling a bit. But both shocks were a bit soft and hopefully that is the reason. I took it back to my LBS and will see tomorrow if the feel is better.

But I must say the beauty of the bike will make up for the suffering.....

Seriously naaaaice!

How do you tell after 3 rides if you like it or not?

Have you had a proper set up?

Are the wheels to small?

Yes, I have also seen the bike in the classified section. I went to the Giant bicycles demo day at Delvera yesterday. I went with a open mind, eager to test the 650 anthem and trance. What an absolute let down. Did a loop with the 650 Anthem, then 650b trance, then the 29er Anthem. Was about 2 minutes faster on the 29er anthem than the 650 anthem, trance was nowhwere. Then i took my own bike, 29er Spez Stumpjumper carbon on the same loop after three test rides in the heat, 5 minutes faster than the 29er Anthem. Everyone i spoke to said they could not justify buying a 27,5 over their 26, and no-one wanted to change their 29er for the 650b. So I have experience riding all the wheel sizes, and my preference is 29er by n country mile.

What was the real let down, besides that you were not as fast? Which of the bikes felt better besides your own bike. Your review is far to vague. You would need to take each bike in all sizes on the same route to make this review more valid in my opinion.

What was the real let down, besides that you were not as fast? Which of the bikes felt better besides your own bike. Your review is far to vague. You would need to take each bike in all sizes on the same route to make this review more valid in my opinion.

All were medium frame bikes. Whats your point. All were setup by the Giant team. Who better to setup a Giant bike? Your opinion? I rode the bikes, and thats my opinion. I am way way way faster on a 29er and enjoy the 29er much more. My opinion. What about the other people I spoke to who shared the same sentiment after their test ride. Edited by schalk1982

All were medium frame bikes. Whats your point. All were setup by the Giant team. Who better to setup a Giant bike?

My point is that I think that in order to get a better review, you should have done a back to back on all the bikes ie Trance 26"vs27.5vs29er etc. The only reason I'm asking is I'm in the market and am solely looking at the 650b range of bikes. Your own bike is setup 100% for you. This is more along the lines of I need more info as to what when wrong, maybe you might have taken the wrong line a few times as you were not used to the bike or something.

My point is that I think that in order to get a better review, you should have done a back to back on all the bikes ie Trance 26"vs27.5vs29er etc. The only reason I'm asking is I'm in the market and am solely looking at the 650b range of bikes. Your own bike is setup 100% for you. This is more along the lines of I need more info as to what when wrong, maybe you might have taken the wrong line a few times as you were not used to the bike or something.

I did a Anthem 27,5, then a Trance 27,5, then a Anthem 29er. Back to back, same route. Setup by team Giant. Remember, I went open minded, more than willing to buy 27,5. For ME, MYSELF, I much prefer the 29er, much much faster between my legs. Go out and test ride them.

I did a Anthem 27,5, then a Trance 27,5, then a Anthem 29er. Back to back, same route. Setup by team Giant. Remember, I went open minded, more than willing to buy 27,5. For ME, MYSELF, I much prefer the 29er, much much faster between my legs. Go out and test ride them.

You are comparing a trail bike to a XC marathon bike, of course one will be slower then the other, where all bikes speced the same?I know you went there completely open minded but you seem to be missing the point a bit. Did the Giant guys setup the bikes exactly to your own personal bike? IS your own personal bike the same specs as the Giant bikes you rode, all this makes a difference.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just trying to get as much info as possible, nothing against you or anything.

You are comparing a trail bike to a XC marathon bike, of course one will be slower then the other, where all bikes speced the same?I know you went there completely open minded but you seem to be missing the point a bit. Did the Giant guys setup the bikes exactly to your own personal bike? IS your own personal bike the same specs as the Giant bikes you rode, all this makes a difference.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just trying to get as much info as possible, nothing against you or anything.

I hear you, absolutely, I stated the trance was nowhere. Trail bike, hated it. Slow slow slow. Anthem 27,5 vs Anthem 29er, Anthem 29er was much faster, and much more enjoyable. Both same spec, xt all round, I think. 2 x10 for sure, on both. In the corners it was close, but in the flats the 29er rips the 650b a new asshole. I went out and tried it. Personally I dont think the 27,5 bring anything to the table. My friends agree. Go ride them yourself and then comment.

I hear you, absolutely, I stated the trance was nowhere. Trail bike, hated it. Slow slow slow. Anthem 27,5 vs Anthem 29er, Anthem 29er was much faster, and much more enjoyable. Both same spec, xt all round, I think. 2 x10 for sure, on both. In the corners it was close, but in the flats the 29er rips the 650b a new asshole. I went out and tried it. Personally I dont think the 27,5 bring anything to the table. My friends agree. Go ride them yourself and then comment.

That's the plan :clap: Thanks for the input, much appreciated :thumbup:

That's the plan :clap: Thanks for the input, much appreciated :thumbup:

Please give us feedback. Keen to know what others think. Seriously. Not knocking the 27,5. Just for me, not the best option. Still fun, even a bmx is fun to ride for me. Just love bikes.