2x10 conversion questions

silent_bob

Morning Hubbers,

I'm in the process of acquiring parts to replace the 3x9 Shimano LX drive train on my bike with 2x10. I have a few technical questions and was hoping to find some guidance here on what will work with what.

Firstly, my bike has a threaded, external BB (RaceFace 73mm). Will a SLX M675 crank be compatible with this? I see these cranks ship new with the BB included and I just want to make sure the crank will fit my current BB (the SLX crank I found thats for sale excludes the BB).

Secondly, I would like to install a SLX M675 rear derailleur (medium cage) with the M675 crank. Would I need a chain guide with this configuration?

Edited by silent_bob

I would not think a chain guide would be needed with 2*10 as the FD will do that job anyway.

As I recall Raceface BB's are compatible with Shomano .....

I would not think a chain guide would be needed with 2*10 as the FD will do that job anyway.

As I recall Raceface BB's are compatible with Shomano .....

Great, thank you

I currently have a 3x10 XT Crankset, and would like to go to 2x10. with the current deals at either Easybike or CWC, the prices are too good not to do it now.

I already have an 11/36 10 Speed cassette, and a set of 10 speed shifters, both XT as well

Two questions, will my current 9 speed front derailleur work?

Secondly, which rear derailluer should I go for long, medium or short, I'm looking at the Xt with clutch mechanism. What is the difference between them besides the length and how do I know what to get.

Many Thanks

Are you currently running 2x9 or 3x9? Can't exactly understand from info supplied.

For 2x10 you would need a 2x FD (front derai...) & 2x front shifter. Your current xt shifters might be able to switch between 3x and 2x (if it's the later/new xt shifters)

In terms of RD (rear dera...)... Short, medium, long depends on your shifting and how you ride your gear ratios and you front & rear chain ring/casette sizes (ie how long chain you need and how much chain slack the RD should pickup). On a 2x10 you would typically have 38&26 front and 11/36 (like you have) back on which you'll run a medium cage. I have 2x10 with 38/24 front and 11/36 back and I've gone for long cage (no clutch though). Lots of information on the web available regarding cage lenght. Enjoy the convertion :-)

My current set up on the bike is a 3x10 XT crankset(42/32/24), with 9 speed rear cassette and 9 speed front derailluer and 9 Speed rear derailleur & 9 Speed Shifters. The 3x10 crank works perfectly with the 9 speed setup I currently have.

I have a 11/36 10 speed cassette for the conversion , as well as I have purchased some new 10 speed XT shifters(which I can use as 2x10 or 3x10). I just need to go buy a rear dearilleur, but not sure which one ie long, medium or short XT Clutch, also not sure of the 9 Speed front derailleur will work as well, as I currently use it with as for a 3x9 setup, or would I have to also buy a new one to work with a 2x10 setup?

I plan to take off one of the rings on the 3x10 crankset and make it a 2x10 rather.

I hope this is enough info?

Edited by Caerus

You don't need a 2x front mech or shifter, that's what limit screws are for. A 10sp one will improve shifting because it has a narrower cage, but isn't essential.

As for the RD, have a read through this.

(If I wasn't doing cartwheels round the shop yesterday I would have helped you out - timing just wasn't great...)

I currently have a 3x10 XT Crankset, and would like to go to 2x10. with the current deals at either Easybike or CWC, the prices are too good not to do it now.

I already have an 11/36 10 Speed cassette, and a set of 10 speed shifters, both XT as well

Two questions, will my current 9 speed front derailleur work?

Secondly, which rear derailluer should I go for long, medium or short, I'm looking at the Xt with clutch mechanism. What is the difference between them besides the length and how do I know what to get.

Many Thanks

I have been lucky enough to source most of the parts I require (for a 2x10 conversion) with the help of some Hubbers and CWC / EasyBike. I really wanted to get a medium cage rear derailleur (simply for the additional ground clearance - I'm not to clued up on the mechanics of the different length of cages) but these seem to be in short supply from where I have looked locally and I settled for a long cage. Its what I currently using anyway.

Edited by silent_bob

You don't need a 2x front mech or shifter, that's what limit screws are for. A 10sp one will improve shifting because it has a narrower cage, but isn't essential.

(If I wasn't doing cartwheels round the shop yesterday I would have helped you out - timing just wasn't great...)

Thanks Droo, I see you were crazy busy yesterday, thanks again for the fantastic service and turn around :thumbup:

I have been lucky enough to source most of the parts I require (for a 2x10 conversion) with the help of some Hubbers and CWC / EasyBike. I really wanted to get a medium cage rear derailleur (simply for the additional ground clearance - I'm not to clued up on the mechanics of the different length of cages) but these seem to be in short supply from where I have looked locally and I settled for a long cage. Its what I currently using anyway.

Yip, seems the medium cages are in very short supply at the moment, no one in the country seems to have any. I guess I'll have to wait till I get to Durbs to see, or otherwise CRC is my friend. I don't feel like settling though, good to hear you got all sorted out. :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

What rear derailleur to go for if I have a 11/36 10 speed cassette? Do I go medium or long cage? This is the final part I need to do the conversion.

Been using my older gen 9spd triple FD for a few weeks now after changing to 2x10 cranks, only problem i have is the spacing between the cage and the large chainring, due to the size difference and the length of the cage i cant lower it down any further to reduce the gap so have been looking for a M786 or SLX FD.

What rear derailleur to go for if I have a 11/36 10 speed cassette? Do I go medium or long cage? This is the final part I need to do the conversion.

My advice with a 11/36 would be to go with a medium cage RD, although I'm not sure if you have the option with the Shadow+ anymore.

Been using my older gen 9spd triple FD for a few weeks now after changing to 2x10 cranks, only problem i have is the spacing between the cage and the large chainring, due to the size difference and the length of the cage i cant lower it down any further to reduce the gap so have been looking for a M786 or SLX FD.

My advice with a 11/36 would be to go with a medium cage RD, although I'm not sure if you have the option with the Shadow+ anymore.

Easybike have this, http://www.easybike.co.za/shimano-xt-rear-derailleur-rd-m786-gs-shadow-silver.html, been hoping too get one in black, but they are very scarce at the moment.