VIPA or Spark 910

PietPot

Well it's time to go dual suspension and I have been riding Momsen since I got back onto a bike. I am totally in love with the VIPA but don't know what to do since recent advice. The Vipa don't have remote lock out on the rear shock and also don't come with shadow + it is also R5000 more expensive than the Spark 910...? What to do..? What is the best buy or value for money..?

I'd go Vipa, "THE" MORWOOD involved, heard a lot of guys complaining about Scotts suspension and rear triangle durability and to top that off it looks like Scotts aftersales service has taken a bit of a dive as well..not coming back to some with regards to valid warranty complaints.

First of all it depends on the riding you do. Take your decision from there.

If you ride trails only with baggies backpack and pads: Pyga ; Genius

If you ride trails and a bit of XC, with baggies and backpack, then consider a Pyga, Spark 910

If you ride XC only with lots of lycra, ballerina shoes and want a light bike: Vipa, Spark

I would go with the Vipa or Pyga. Get the frame and build your dream bike

I used to be a big Scott fan, great value for money and very light bikes. However the suspension design on the Scott is not that great (getting ready for a roasting, but it is fact), therefore the lockouts. Also the rear triangle on that model is still in aluminium and if I have to compare it with my GF's genius, It make the bike feel a little unbalanced, or it is just the heavy back wheel?

I am sure Mr Morewood put a lot of thinking into the suspension design to make it work properly on both the Vipa and the Pyga. A usable 80mm/110mm that uses all of it is much better than a 100mm that uses 60mm.

Be a proudly South African and buy South African Design.

I hear Specialized are having some great deals at the moment :devil: ...

I hope this post has confused you even more :thumbup:

If you ride trails only with baggies backpack and pads: Pyga ; Genius

If you ride trails and a bit of XC, with baggies and backpack, then consider a Pyga, Spark 910

If you ride XC only with lots of lycra, ballerina shoes and want a light bike: Vipa, Spark

I ride baggies, flat pedals and a dropper post...on my Vipa! Sometimes I even ride with goggles rather than shades.

I ride baggies, flat pedals and a dropper post...on my Vipa! Sometimes I even ride with goggles rather than shades.

Ja, saw that on your Vipa Build. I think that baggies should be minimum requirement for a dropper post. You should produce proof of baggies when buying it. :thumbup:

All jokes aside, I never thought that the 80mm on the back of that bike would be enough, but from what I have seen and heard it seems adequate for some light trail riding. Just slap on a longer fork and away you go.

Thanks for all the comments gents.. I decided to go for the VIPA I took it for a test drive yesterday and i could not get rid of the smile on my face.. I will however keep it on the standard spec and maybe add a dropper seat post for now.. Any advice regarding what dropper to go for..?

Just for a moment there I imagined Crow in bright lycra and ballerina shoes :D :D but then it passed.

Thanks for all the comments gents.. I decided to go for the VIPA I took it for a test drive yesterday and i could not get rid of the smile on my face.. I will however keep it on the standard spec and maybe add a dropper seat post for now.. Any advice regarding what dropper to go for..?

Reverb Stealth all the way! Lots of good options available, but the Vipa comes with internal routing for a Stealth. Win and win! Internal routing will get rid of the "loop" when dropped, avoid cable rub against your new carbon beauty and will cut out cable ties on a bike that has proper guides for everything.

Well done on your purchase. You will not regret having gone with the Ferrari at an Audi's price! :devil:

Just for a moment there I imagined Crow in bright lycra and ballerina shoes :D :D but then it passed.

I won't be seen dead in my ballerina shoes. Proof:

http://rcdn.roadbikereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/bikerfox.jpg

Reverb Stealth all the way! Lots of good options available, but the Vipa comes with internal routing for a Stealth. Win and win! Internal routing will get rid of the "loop" when dropped, avoid cable rub against your new carbon beauty and will cut out cable ties on a bike that has proper guides for everything.

Well done on your purchase. You will not regret having gone with the Ferrari at an Audi's price! :devil: