Rear Derailleur Question

PoiZoNouZ

I have a Trek Superfly 100AL, which uses a SRAM X7 3x10 groupset.

What would the advantage be to upgrade the rear derailleur to a type 2 model with the built in clutch?

It uses the normal X7 rear, but finally they have launched the type 2 X7.

On a 3x gruppo, not much apart from silence and reduced chain chatter. In extreme cases, it helps wiht chain retention. But only if you ride HARD and then the FD normally picks up any slack.

FD doesnt add tension to the chain, so it's not a simple matter of 'catching' the chain. it still can drop right off onto the BB. That's exactly where the type 2 can help without you needing a chain device over and above your RD and FD.

I have the type 2 with a triple chainring setup so talking outta experience. You wont go wrong. But get the X.9 type 2 as a minimum. It's very robust. Takes a proper bashing in its stride.

mayhem: remember i mentioned my RD going wonky? turned out the hanger was loose. Fixed that and no more ghost shifting on the RD. still going strong.

Edited by Capricorn

Sweet! Nicely spotted cap. And yeah, agreed on the catching action of the fd. Acts more like a guide than tensioner. But only really drops if you ride like a tit, or in rough conditions. Jeep track warriors won really see the benefit except in a quieter setup, imo.

And 100% on the X9. That's the one to go for.

Sweet! Nicely spotted cap. And yeah, agreed on the catching action of the fd. Acts more like a guide than tensioner. But only really drops if you ride like a tit, or in rough conditions. Jeep track warriors won really see the benefit except in a quieter setup, imo.

And 100% on the X9. That's the one to go for.

in my experience, if you forget to shift up to the big ring, the chain is more likely to hop off the middle onto granny or worse. is very annoying. But the type 2 helped superbly in that regard.

actually, i was expecting you to slap me for taking so darn long to spot a loose hanger. meh. i fail :(

in my experience, if you forget to shift up to the big ring, the chain is more likely to hop off the middle onto granny or worse. is very annoying. But the type 2 helped superbly in that regard.

actually, i was expecting you to slap me for taking so darn long to spot a loose hanger. meh. i fail :(

Rofl. You chop!

There you go.

On the chain drop issues, can't say I ever experienced that, but that's not surprising since I didn't ride that hard when I had a 3x and no chain guide. Was on the Hardtail. Always had a chain guide on the burly bikes. ..

Thanks guys.

Have never dropped a chain yet, use mainly the big and middle gears, have only used the granny once.

so the X7 type 2 is a no go rather go to the x9?

Thanks guys.

Have never dropped a chain yet, use mainly the big and middle gears, have only used the granny once.

so the X7 type 2 is a no go rather go to the x9?

wrt to the X.7,i've never personally used one, and almost exclusively used X.9 or X.0. The X.9 as a value proposition is unmissable relative to X.0, hence my recommendation. What does the X.7 type 2 cost? Google reviews of the X.7. If the majority of reviews are good, then i say go for it :)

Edited by Capricorn

Slight hijack here. I've got a SLX clutch rd, and using my SRAM 9sp gripshifters, with the 5mm spacer, as per the posts on other forums,I find shifting is still not perfect. Anyone else using this setup, and how is yours working.

I had a long cage X0 (std) on my XTC and was constantly dropping the chain on the rough stuff as well as the chain hammering my poor chainstay. Fitted an X0 Type 2 and boy what a difference. The shifting action is slightly more difficult than than the clutchless model, but all worth the extra effort.

If you ride a lot of rough stuff I would suggest a Type 2. They are double the price, but worth it.

The X9 is 1100 on buycycle, plus shipping and fitting.

The X7 is 1000 fitted from Northcliff cycles.

Both type 2

The X9 is 1100 on buycycle, plus shipping and fitting.

The X7 is 1000 fitted from Northcliff cycles.

Both type 2

if that's the case, i'd go with X.9 even if, going by the online reviews i've just squizzed through, the only real difference between the two is weight, and the X.9 shifters work better. On that latter bit, i'd go X.9 alone. Few things can annoy than a shifter that doesn't shift like clockwork.

edit: just compared the X.9 to X.7 type 2 rear mech's on SRAM's site, and the X.7 is lighter with all the tech used in the X.9 Beginning to wonder if that small price difference was deliberate: aka there's not much difference between the latest X.7 and X.9 type 2 rear mechs.

I'll change my mind and say: flip a coin.

Either will do.

Edited by Capricorn

Thanks.

Fitting would probably be around R150 and shipping is R80, so the diff is about R300.

Oh, and I prefer dealing with a store rather than online...

Edited by PoiZoNouZ