Assistance with Rockshox Vivid Air

capediver

Hi all mechs...I have searched all over, got the manuals and services docs and have still found nothing that will help me find out what pressure I should have in my new Vivid Air. Sag is set correct at 30% and using recommended 6,3,3 settings but I still feel its "soft" and using full stroke all the time, last thing I want is to bottom out all the time. Even dialled in a few clicks doesn't seem to do the trick. I just want to know what the pressure should be for my weight (90kg).

Any tech assistance out there?

Sag settings are just a guide. Different riders have different techniques. And the type of trail makes a difference too. If you feel it's too soft, add more air until you are happy. I ended up adding air, then taking out again a few weeks later. Set it up until you're comfortable. And you probably won't get it perfect after your first ride anyway. Sometimes trial and error is best to get your ride dialled in.

Agreed. Sag is just a recommendation. Go for a ride with varied terrain and take a shock pump with.

Ride and tune until you find the perfect balance.

A shock should use about 95 to 100% of its stroke at least once or twice on a ride.

Start with 200psi.... most shox max 300psi :thumbup:

Rekon youll be like between 190 and 225 psi

Edited by 2Nutz

i was spit ballin....

this might help you more

Tech Tuesday - RockShox Vivid Air Tuning

May 15, 2012 at 0:05by Mike Levy Follow Add to Favorites

Sag First, Dials Second: There are four basic steps involved in tuning the Vivid Air: setting the sag by adjusting the shock's air pressure, tuning both the beginning and ending stroke rebound via the separate dials, and also adjusting the compression. It is imperative to begin the process by first getting the sag correct, as this will have an effect on rebound and compression settings. For instance, more air pressure will result in a harder spring rate and stiffer suspension, but it will likely also require additional rebound damping to control the extra spring force that is extending the suspension after an impact. It is for this reason that a rider with 200psi in the shock's air spring chamber will require more clicks of rebound control compared to a lighter rider who may have only 150psi in the shock, although this rule isn't set in stone given the varying terrain and differing needs of riders. http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb8119340/p4pb8119340.jpgStarting Point: Not sure where to start your setup, but don't want to hit the trails with your suspension way out in left field? RockShox recommends starting with their 6-3-6 setup, a configuration that should provide a good base to tune from. This references six clicks of beginning stroke rebound, three clicks of ending stroke rebound, and six clicks of compression damping, with all adjustments being made from the their fully closed (clockwise) positon. The 6-3-6 method still demands that the shock is running close to the correct amount of sag in order to get the most out of the damping adjustments - 30% being a rough rule of thumb for many bikes.While this is a good place to begin tuning from, it is important to keep in mind that different bikes employ different leverage ratios, terrain dictates setup to a large degree, and that rider ability and technique will also factor in. It's for these reasons that we encourage riders to experiment with their Vivid's settings rather than just being happy with the default setup; you may unleash performance that you didn't know was available to you.

What's needed:

• Shock pump

• 2.5mm hex key

• Your riding gear

• A friend

Some helpful pointers before you begin:

• Remember to wear your riding gear (including a pack with water, if you wear one) when setting up your bike - the added weight will have an effect

• The Vivid's ''beginning stroke'' rebound controls the rebound speed in the first 25% of the shock's stroke - smaller, fast impacts

• ''Ending stroke'' rebound refers to the final 75% of the shock's stroke - larger, slower impacts

• Compression damping controls suspension sensitivity and ride height

• The number of 'clicks' made during setup always refers to how many clicks the the dial makes from its full in (clockwise) position

• Attaching the shock pump allows about 10psi to escape, so it is necessary to compensate for this when adding air to the shock

Riders often forget to equalize the positive and negative air chambers by pushing the shock into its stroke, allowing the air to pass from one to another. This is an important step when setting sag, one that will make setup difficult if it isn't done.

Edited by 2Nutz

so what you that Mr Levy says helps!

:huh: haha :lol:

end of vid on the sag ,is very instructive too :thumbup:

Edited by 2Nutz