Xterra buffelspoort

MTBc

Who is in for this one? I've entered the full, it's my first tri. :eek:

Any advice on training / gear? I've found 2 archived threads that suggest a minimum of 3 training sessions of each discipline. want to get a long legged tri suit and ditch it after the swim, would that be possible? Also, what about mid-event nutrition - load up on sugar / carbs during the ride?

Does this rule mean that 650b's are not allowed?

- All bikes must have 26” or 29” wheels. :whistling:

Can't wait for it!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The swim is like in any other standard Olympic distance tri, so normal training should be fine there. The bike course can get a bit technical on some sections, but your average mountainbiker won’t have any trouble. It’s a great route and my favourite of the 3 disciplines. The run is where most (including me) see there hmmm (you know). Last year was absolutely brutal. It must be the hardest 12km run I have ever ever done. If you want to focus your training on a discipline, focus on the run.

Regarding the tri-suit, just get a short one and use it the whole time. I don’t think there are places to change and the last 2 years the water was too warm for wetsuits anyway so a trisuit (or short and top) will do just fine

Edited by Grondpad

Doing the Lite again this year because I want to see if I can beat last years time. But this will be the last lite triathlon i'll be doing it's time to step it up.

In there for sure!!!

Will have to make amends after missing Rockman due to illness!

I do agree on with Grondpad on the run - it is something else!

The bike is hard......the run is from hell itself!!Only race I did last year I nearly quit!

Will be back but doing much more hilly offroad running this year.

If I remember correctly it was over 35 degrees last year, so I can imagine the run must of been a killer

They shortened the run after the first half of the field was through last year due to heat.

My mate was less than enthused when he came down the mountain seeing the marshals had opened the gate and letting the field through a shortcut - not having to go up the mountain he just had to drag his ass up.

The bike hurts you just enough for the run to have its way with you!

Proper race for sure!

The bike is hard......the run is from hell itself!!Only race I did last year I nearly quit!

Will be back but doing much more hilly offroad running this year.

The ride will be fine I'm sure. Managed a 70km Monster in 5 hours or so last year, so 26km in the same area should be manageable. And the swim is probably similar to Midmar, but less crowded so that shouldn't be too bad either.

If I remember correctly it was over 35 degrees last year, so I can imagine the run must of been a killer

Yoh. I nearly died at 25 degs yesterday morning, on a smooth / flat 6km run :eek: 4 training sessions so far, and 1 of my knees is already starting to complain. gonna have to suck it up and htfu to get through it.

I wonder if I could do the swim in my riding lycra... :whistling:

The ride will be fine I'm sure. Managed a 70km Monster in 5 hours or so last year, so 26km in the same area should be manageable. And the swim is probably similar to Midmar, but less crowded so that shouldn't be too bad either.

Yoh. I nearly died at 25 degs yesterday morning, on a smooth / flat 6km run :eek: 4 training sessions so far, and 1 of my knees is already starting to complain. gonna have to suck it up and htfu to get through it.

I wonder if I could do the swim in my riding lycra... :whistling:

I bought a pair of Orca Tri shorts last year and it was worth the money, you swim, cycle and run in them.

I bought a pair of Orca Tri shorts last year and it was worth the money, you swim, cycle and run in them.

I'll wait until after this one before i decide if I'm gonna stick to multi.

See http://shop.fluidlines.co.za/ for bargains on Orca triathlon clothing, just that sizes are limited as it's the sale of their "old" stock. I bought tri shorts and top from them last year, got great service albeit their online shop is a bit outdated (can only pay via EFT).

Ps: I will also be doing the Lite...

Who is in for this one? I've entered the full, it's my first tri. :eek:

Any advice on training / gear? I've found 2 archived threads that suggest a minimum of 3 training sessions of each discipline. want to get a long legged tri suit and ditch it after the swim, would that be possible? Also, what about mid-event nutrition - load up on sugar / carbs during the ride?

Does this rule mean that 650b's are not allowed?

- All bikes must have 26” or 29” wheels. :whistling:

Can't wait for it!

The waterpoints are pretty good. Coke and water or Rehidrat and water, plus jellybabies, snadwiches, fruit, potatoes etc. And some Pronutro bars sometimes. If you throw a couple Gu's in your pocket you'll be fine.

See http://shop.fluidlines.co.za/ for bargains on Orca triathlon clothing, just that sizes are limited as it's the sale of their "old" stock. I bought tri shorts and top from them last year, got great service albeit their online shop is a bit outdated (can only pay via EFT).

Ps: I will also be doing the Lite...

I found this website but the prices seemed a bit low so I was suspect about buying anything from them

Does anyone swim with an Edge 500? Apparently it's got an "ipx7" water resistance rating, and on some other forums have had successful submersion tests with it - ipx7 is apparently meant to be safe for up to 1m.

re fluidlines - I couldn't find the shoes on their site, and you were spot on regarding the sizes - mostly small available.

I found this website but the prices seemed a bit low so I was suspect about buying anything from them

They apparently the importers/distributors for Orca SA, so just selling old stock online. You can also email them, very helpful. Also, sometimes they have stock that's not on their site.