Buying a platform rack

Grebel

Hi,

I have decided that the time has come to lay down the Mandelas and go buy a platform rack. I have a DIY solution that I am currently using but I am looking for something commercial, lockable and insurance approved.

Choices are as follows:

Thule (Euroclassic/Euroway)

Menabo Winny 3

In that order... (Still need to confirm the price of the Thule though). I know that the Thule will be the most expensive, followed by the Menabo (R4200 delivered).

The Thule is available locally everywhere and I am sure that spares are readily available as well should anything break. The added bonus is that I can go and "kick the tyres" of the Thule whereas the Winny is from Rack and Carry online. I am sure that they carry spares plus I have not read any bad reviews of them on here except for the setup issues.

I am leaning towards the Thule because of their wide dealer network but that Winny is a serious contender based on price.....

Thoughts?

Edited by Grebel

I've got a Menabo Winny 3. It works. I have nothing to compare it to though.

It's probably heavier than a Thule, and took serious effort to clamp to the towbar the first time I attached it (has loosened to a reasonable level since). I can't really complain about anything apart from that. It also comes with a little rope that clips to the car, for additional support apart from the towbar, not sure how necessary this is as I've never seen another rack that has this, but I use it anyway. I guess it prevents the thing from bouncing around too much.

The locks and tilt function work well.

Edit: You will receive very good service from Barry from Rack and Carry, if that was a concern.

Edited by El Scorcho

+1...their stuff really is awesome. Just works

Definitely I just got a G2 3bike and it is just freakin awesome. Much lighter I think than anything out there.

Just remember that even though it is lockable insurance still requires you to lock your bikes to it with a separate bike lock or chain at least 12mm thick.

Definitely I just got a G2 3bike and it is just freakin awesome. Much lighter I think than anything out there.

Just remember that even though it is lockable insurance still requires you to lock your bikes to it with a separate bike lock or chain at least 12mm thick.

Excellent point.

Bike racks are like prostitutes....you get what you pay for.

:eek:

:)

Edited by Grebel

I'm very happy with my Buzz Rack Buzzy Bee 4, carries 4 bikes and only R3899 from:

http://www.rackandca...co.za/BikeRacks

I did manage to lose some straps though, but the supplier does stock them :thumbup:

Hey Nick, my current setup that I use has the camlock luggage straps to tie the wheels and the frame on. I am trying to move away from that. I am looking for a simple load and unload solutions as per the ratchet buckles and clamps on the Thule and the Menabo.

Thanks for the feedback though.

Bosch have a good product, available at Speedy's - 2 bike rack with all the bells and whistles, foldable, lockable. I did change the plug in system to the good old fashioned SA standard.

Bosch have a good product, available at Speedy's - 2 bike rack with all the bells and whistles, foldable, lockable. I did change the plug in system to the good old fashioned SA standard.

I saw one a few weeks ago. Very nice rack and if I was looking for two bikes I would definitely consider it. Easy operation and it folds up small for storage. My dilema is that I have a family of four and three of those are on MTB's with the little guy just getting the hang of a 12" so I need something that can do 3 but can expand to 4 at a later stage.