HR Monitor iPhone 4

peds

So I have an iPhone 4 lying around and wanted to use it for Strava and Gym would like to get a Heart rate monitor for it but it seems that all the Bluetooth heart rate monitors are Bluetooth 4.0 (iPhone 4s & iPhone 5) and iPhone 4 only has Bluetooth 2.1.

Anyone using a heart rate monitor on iPhone 4 that they can recommend?

Had a look at the Ant+ on google, would still need to get a heart rate monitor to talk to the Ant+ device. I know you get HR Monitors that are bluetooth and will talk directly to the phone but the problem is the bluetooth version.

You can get a Ant+ dongle if I am not mistaken....but you will have to google a bit

Got mine from Buycycle and it works perfectly. Think it is made by Wahoo.

Had a look at the Ant+ on google, would still need to get a heart rate monitor to talk to the Ant+ device. I know you get HR Monitors that are bluetooth and will talk directly to the phone but the problem is the bluetooth version.

The Wahoo for iPhone 4 includes the HRM and the Ant+ dongle and cost about R600. The equivalent garmin package cost about R300 more than that

There also a wrist strap called "Scosche Rhythm" that is bluetooth but the cheapest one i could find when i was looking was $80 excluding shipping to RSA.

Edited by l4y3rcake

The Wahoo for iPhone 4 includes the HRM and the Ant+ dongle and cost about R600. The equivalent garmin package cost about R300 more than that

There also a wrist strap called "Scosche Rhythm" that is bluetooth but the cheapest one i could find when i was looking was $80 excluding shipping to RSA.

Awesome thanks, looks like the Wahoo is exactly what i need, had a look at wahoofitness.co.za anyone where else i could buy this from?

Awesome thanks, looks like the Wahoo is exactly what i need, had a look at wahoofitness.co.za anyone where else i could buy this from?

buycycle.co.za used to stock them.

I have a garmin 610 now(got it as a gift) so I don't use my phone anymore.

I used to have a 5, and, like the 4 & 4s, there was just the one option - a Wahoo or Polar bluetooth dongle that you plug into the bottom end of the phone.

The phone itself does NOT accept the low power BT or ANT plus signals like the newer samsungs will. I researched it pretty extensively when my 310XT gave up the ghost, as my HR strap was still good.

The options I had were:

Garmin dongle (uses existing strap)

Wahoo Fitness package (includes strap and dongle)

Polar package (includes strap and dongle, which you'd need even though it's the Bluetooth version, seeing as you have the 4)

for all 3 I would have had to get an additional adapter to convert the old 4 / 4s connector to the new 5 / 5s connectors in order to make it fit my 5. Out the box, then, they would work on the 4 or 4s without any hassles. For you, you'd have to get the dongle.

The stockists of the straps were all over, though not many locally bar buycycle. They were Endomondo.com, wahoofitness.com and various other sites. I think takealot also had them at one stage.

I'd suggest going for the Wahoo package. They get very good reviews and you can get them for a reasonable price.