Cycling in Doha,Qatar

Caerus

Hi All,

My brother has recently moved to Doha, so far he has been there a week, and would like to know if there is a cycling community that he could join or people he could meet.

He is also wanting to buy a bike there, and so far he has not been able to locate a local bike shop, all he could find was a few Giants in a sports shop. They have a Giant Revel & Talon. I have suggested him to get the 2014 Talon which seems fairly well specced.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.

Caerus, there is a shop in Salwa Road called Skate Shack that has a fair collection (http://www.skate-shack.com/) but be prepared to pay a little more, and there is GoSports in City Centre Mall, ....I believe the new manager is a Saffer, I'm sure this is the one he went to, they have started getting better bikes and have Fat Bikes if he wants to ride in desert!. But the best is if he could get to Dubai, there are great shops there.

For cycle groups try Chain Reaction (http://www.qatarchainreaction.org/) I know they mostly roadies but there is a contact for MTB.

MTB could be good there but it takes dedication and strong sense of survival especially in SUMMER! But right nows 'a good time to get out and explore.

I was in Bahrain (which is just across the bay) in August.... and to say it is hot is an UNDERSTATEMENT!!!

WOW, they even cool dowm their swimming pools!! In excess of 50 Deg C!!

I lived in Kuwait for a year, and there's definitely an active cycling community there - I'm pretty sure that Doha will be no different. Doha's also got a bit more in terms of varied terrain and elevation, so there should be a bit more than just tooling about in the desert as we did.

As for spares, you'll be restricted to either buying something from Go since they've usually got spares for the stuff they sell, or brush up on mechanical skills and order from CRC.

I've dropped you a PM with the email address of the Kuwait club - I'm pretty sure he'll know what's happening in the rest of the Emirates as well.

Hey Caerus,

Tell your brother to join the "South Africans in Qatar" facebook group.

He should be able to get all info that he needs from the group.

They are quiet active and helps everyone to integrate into the world of qatar.

https://www.facebook...nqatar/?fref=ts

Thanks for that, I clicked on the link, and I see he has already joined. Poor chap has left the family behind as well, so I guess he needs to fill in his time. Never thought he would ever get on a bicycle again :w00t:

Oh, and hot is one word for it. The worst it got in the year I was there was 63 degrees. It'll be nice and cool this time of year though, you may even need a jersey...

Thanks for that, I clicked on the link, and I see he has already joined. Poor chap has left the family behind as well, so I guess he needs to fill in his time. Never thought he would ever get on a bicycle again :w00t:

If you want to, PM me your boets name and phone number.

I know a couple of people in Doha that can invite him to the next braai or "woestyn outing"

If you want to, PM me your boets name and phone number.

I know a couple of people in Doha that can invite him to the next braai or "woestyn outing"

Will do, thanks very much, you're a star :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Caerus, tell him to get a hold of Emile Fitzmaurice (ex-westville resident). He rides mtb and started the Doha Bay Running Club. He should be able to assist.

Thanks very much for that, details forwarded.

Yes there is a cycling community. One of our club memebrs is there. he regularly takes part in events as well. and the odd podium.

If you want i can send you his contact details....

Oh yes you can miss him on the road, he still rides in his club kit .......lol