Race to completion

dakota

Hi hubbers,

I need some help/advice/parts.

I purchased the following beautiful frame off a fellow hubber:

http://www.pacecycles.com/?page_id=913

Now - I need to complete the project...

I want to keep costs to a minimum - so would prefer scouring on the interweb for decent parts than just parting with hardearned rands at the LBS...

My ideal would be to build a singlespeed rigid.

I like the Rapide Forks.

I am in serious need of a decent set of wheels, brakes, and crankset so as to get this baby on the "road"...

Any advice - do's/don'ts? Crank arm lengths, tried and tested combos etc etc.

Will keep the hub up to date with pictures on how the build fares.

Thanks!

look for a single speed kit on ebay, specifically those from Taiwan, as the guys there are quite bike mad and their postage is really good and reliable (compared to china which sucks) This will give you a single speed sprocket and spacers at a really cheap cost.

I have sourced all my small detail items from them, (Mowa KCNC etc) which really help make your machine special. I havent bought cranks brakes etc, so that may be worth investigating, even with the R/$ being bad right now.

Great frame, the chrome accents and sliding dropouts are a nice attention to detail. Almost bought the same frame a while back.

Keep an eye out in the classified,

brakes https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/75018-shimano-brakes-br-m485/

If you are buying a rapide fork, then you can also get the SS cog and spacer kit http://www.rapide.co.za/pRAPIDE%20SINGLEMINDED%20COG%20AND%20SPACERS%20KIT/Rapide-SingleMinded-WBCog-And-Spacers-Kit.aspx

Thanks guys!

Will investigate the ebay route.

Shaper: the frame is really a piece of art in terms of finish. But now she needs to start getting dirty :-)

Thanks again!

Morning,

(Stupid) Question: in the absence of suspension, do the wheels take an extra beating? In other words, in a singlespeed application on the same terrain, same rider etc - would the same wheelset as on a suspended bike take a greater beating due to the lack of suspension?

Reason for my question is that there are a number of decent wheelsets ranging from the bombproof and heavy to the more exclusive XC offerings. I know from my previous bicycle that upgrading the wheels made a huge difference (26 dual sus), and it didn't alter my riding style (or lack thereof) - but now going to a 29 rigid SS - what are the things to consider - or do the same rules apply?

Maybe I should state my motivation for 29 rigid SS. I want a hassle free, low maintenance do-it-all bike. Basically - point and shoot. Not the fastest, nor the lightest - but just something that takes everything in its stride and is hugely reliant on user input. I am not a heavy rider - so I suppose that leaves me with a greater amount of options when it comes to wheels, but still would like to know/understand if there are some things worth considering.

I notice a lot of SS builds with "bin" parts - relative low end wheels compared to similar "race" bikes and would just like to find out whether one would spend more time trueing wheels than riding. An example (please don't crucify me if I am missing something fundamental here) - there were a spate of bent/broken Syncros wheels on the Scott 9xx range of bicycles, given the same circumstances would these wheels be "inadequate" on a SS build due to additional stresses/forces?

In closing - maybe I am just over thinking this whole thing and should just get the bike going and start riding/experimenting :-)

PS. I am by no means an engineer or anything so the mention of the word forces/inadequate etc are just due to a lack of vocabulary

No too sure of the additional forces applied to the wheels but most guys that go the rigid route also prefer to go with higher volume tyres to save the wrists.

Awesome frame btw!

No too sure of the additional forces applied to the wheels but most guys that go the rigid route also prefer to go with higher volume tyres to save the wrists.

Awesome frame btw!

Makes sense.

Saw an awesome Cotic Simple with MASSIVE (in my books) tyres at Epic Sports/Cycles in Centurion...

You also have a much lighter front end and with a rigid you become a better rider and pick smoother lines. Having front suspension tends to make you lazy as you let the suspension do all the work and take the beating, when its your arms and wrists, you improve your riding technique.

Most go carbon rigid fork as there is some flex in the fork and as mentioned higher volume tyres 2.35 or even 2.4 on the front to give some cushion when riding.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Rapide for a fork, cogs (16, 17 and 18 t), spacers, halflink chain and on-one chain tensioner. It was a simple online purchase with smooth delivery without paying an arm and a leg. I went for cheaper, stronger, heavier wheels. I guess also because of the worry about the punishment the rigid fork will transfer to the rims. I lost the tensioner because it is noisy and the looks is just much cleaner without it. Happy building! Give me a shout when you want to ride. I do most of my riding in Centurion area.

I went to Rapide for a fork, cogs (16, 17 and 18 t), spacers, halflink chain and on-one chain tensioner. It was a simple online purchase with smooth delivery without paying an arm and a leg. I went for cheaper, stronger, heavier wheels. I guess also because of the worry about the punishment the rigid fork will transfer to the rims. I lost the tensioner because it is noisy and the looks is just much cleaner without it. Happy building! Give me a shout when you want to ride. I do most of my riding in Centurion area.

Awesome news! Thanks! Got a wheelset off the hub, so now to get on to the drivetrain and cockpit :-) Thanks for the feedback on the Rapide stuff - must say that I have only experienced sound service from them on my questions thus far.

Will most definitely shout once I am "rolling".

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Right - the parts are coming together quite nicely.

A question to those in the know - the fork will be rigid for now - but - the question is: steel or carbon...

Any input is highly appreciated.

Cheers,

Zane

Hi,

Just a little bit of an update.

Sourced some brakes - (Gawie), crank (Rudi) and rotors (Marius).

Busy with a 'Jeff Jones' on the cranks - not because I am into the "bling" thing, but just because it might complement the chrome accents on the frame.

In the heat of the moment - also started doing the same to the calipers.

Eagerly awaiting the shipment of Rapide Pitchforks then we can complete the build.

Cheers,

Zane

post-8929-0-98605500-1393244719_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Thank you Hugh Schofie (frame and parts), Gawie Stoltz (brakes), Marius Kuys (rotors), Zarius Swanepoel (wheels), Juandre (beesrib) (information), TunaRiaan (information), Kiwi (information and patience), Hot Spot Cycles (Hannes)(help), Epic Sports (chainring), Craig (Cycle Lab) (fork and adapters), Hatfield Cycles (cog, spacers and chain) and Solomons Woodmead(grips, handlebars)!!!! PS. I forgot the name of the gentleman I bought the stem from - but thanks to you TOO!

post-8929-0-70547900-1403012912_thumb.jpg

post-8929-0-65387200-1403012932_thumb.jpg

Thank you Hugh Schofie (frame and parts), Gawie Stoltz (brakes), Marius Kuys (rotors), Zarius Swanepoel (wheels), Juandre (beesrib) (information), TunaRiaan (information), Kiwi (information and patience), Hot Spot Cycles (Hannes)(help), Epic Sports (chainring), Craig (Cycle Lab) (fork and adapters), Hatfield Cycles (cog, spacers and chain) and Solomons Woodmead(grips, handlebars)!!!! PS. I forgot the name of the gentleman I bought the stem from - but thanks to you TOO!

Hi there, looking great. Hope you get many happy smiley moments.

cheers

Looks good...Happy riding and enjoy the stupid grin on your face when you do!! :thumbup:

Edited by shaper