IM Marathon time versus marathon PB

atilla

Hi everyone,

What is the avg time "lost" on an IM marathon compared to a normal standard marathon. I come from a big running background and thus running is my strongest dicipline. If i can run lets say a 2h40 standard marathon, what type of time will be a good IM marathon time?

Hi everyone,

What is the avg time "lost" on an IM marathon compared to a normal standard marathon. I come from a big running background and thus running is my strongest dicipline. If i can run lets say a 2h40 standard marathon, what type of time will be a good IM marathon time?

LOL

Well...I'll get the ball rolling

Best Marathon time = 3:18 (Flat run) and 1/2 marathon = 1:29 (some hills / down hills not major).

IM Marathon times (old SA style IM's i.e. not 180k cycle) = vary between 5 - 7 hrs :blush: :blush:

Edited by SwissVan

Joe Friel says you should be able to run 20% faster than your goal time for IM.

in your case 3hours 12 mins could be your number then ... based on PB.

All depends on how hard you hit the Bike, but if you are Smart and leave some gas in the Tank I would agree with 20-25% diffrence from "RECENT" PB to Ironman Split...

My 2013 - Vaal in March 2013 3h05 , Ironman Marathon 2013 - 3h47

Thus 22.5% was mine

To add To Ops Title, i would add RECENT marathon PB, last 6 Months ish

Will greatly depend on your overall physical condition because that determines the state you are in when you start the run...

Very true, nutrition also very important....

Go to hard and the muscles cramp

Eat / Drink wrong and the stomach revolts

Both conditions very difficult to run / jog with

and on half Iron Man? 1.45 min PB

In my Personal Experience Id say half the Full 22.5% to between 10-12% of Recent PB.

In 2013 I had run an 1h25 min Half Marathon and finished 70.3 EL with a 1h34.15

So with a 1h45 Id say look for a 1h55 to sub2.

Edited by Ferret69

In my Personal Experience Id say half the Full 22.5% to between 10-12% of Recent PB.

In 2013 I had run an 1h25 min Half Marathon and finished 70.3 EL with a 1h34.15

So with a 1h45 Id say look for a 1h55 to sub2.

I think the 20% would more accurate as it is relative. My last 70.3 run split was more than 20% of my PB or even recent time.

You are just a machine so 90kms would hardly touch sides for you - as I didn't come from a cycling background the ride really kills my run.