Chain Lubrication - A Competitive Edge

eliminator

is it alright to spray your bikes d?railleur and chain of with a pressure washer? then just apply the lube again?

I do this with my MTB and think there is no better cleaning than that - gets everywhere.Decibach2008-02-27 04:20:53

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going back to the original question of will it give you a 'competitive' advantage my guess would be about as much as starting with only 1 sock or ensuring you go to the toilet before you ride?

Going back to the original question of will it give you a 'competitive' advantage my guess would be about as much as starting with only 1 sock or ensuring you go to the toilet before you ride?
I've found that going into some of those long drop bins before a race actually takes out 20min off my time on a 100km.

jislaaik maar ek haat dit.....

will try the one sokkie thing ..... smiley36.gif smiley11.gif

I've found that going into some of those long drop bins before a race actually takes out 20min off my time on a 100km.

jislaaik maar ek haat dit.....

will try the one sokkie thing ..... smiley36.gif smiley11.gif

Ok then 1 sock and the long drop, now we talking LOL

I've found that going into some of those long drop bins before a race actually takes out 20min off my time on a 100km. jislaaik maar ek haat dit..... will try the one sokkie thing ..... smileys/smiley36.gif" align="middle" /> smileys/smiley11.gif" align="middle" />

Ok then 1 sock and the long drop' date=' now we talking [img']https://www.bikehub.co.za/smileys/smiley36.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="LOL" />
big ben - that sokkie thing came up in a post last year Aug 2007 - about loosing weight. Looked like a very big argument able thread.... I will stay with 2 sokkies thank you...

Be careful with high pressure washers. It has been said that they can force water into your hubs. Not sure how true this is, but it is not hard to imagine it is. Seals on hubs are not very tight as they need to allow for very low friction. Probably not good for your BB bearings either.

Try fitting a powerlink. Personally I use a powerlink on my training bike, but a normal link on my racing bike. Powerlinks make it really easy to clean the chain. Just unlink, wash in a bit of diesel, dry thoroughly, link again and apply lube. Works wonders!

It has been said that they can force water into your hubs.

It's not only forcing water into the hubs, it's also flushing the grease out (and possibly carrying dirt in with it)

teflon based sprays only work well in a sealed enviroment. a dry chain lube is best as it doesn't attract grit. try the liqui moly dry lube, Team Barloworld are running it on their machines this year. if it's good enough for Europe.... 

teflon is only good in a sealed enviroment. the best lube is a dry lube. an engine oil attracts to much grit and the grit combined with the metal on metal friction wears down a chain quickly. try liqui moly dry lube spray, Team barloworld sre using it this year, if its good enough for eurpoean weather...

Any chain will stretch out long before it wears down enough to break. When it comes to wear it is the gears you need to worry about.

Personally I use wet lube. It is easier to clean as you just wipe it off after each ride and reapply and in this way your drivetrain stays generally clean. If you are riding big miles then this may be the best.

Perhaps you can explain to us how a bicycle chain stretches. While you're at it, why not explain to us why chain wear is less important than gear wear.

Finally, I'll also appreciate it if you could also explain how it is that you manage to use wet lube that doesn't carry grit inside the chain and how you manage to just wipe it off. How do you get inside the chain where it matters, with that rag of yours?

Johan Bornman2008-02-28 10:40:18

Be careful with high pressure washers. It has been said that they can force water into your hubs. Not sure how true this is' date=' but it is not hard to imagine it is. Seals on hubs are not very tight as they need to allow for very low friction. Probably not good for your BB bearings either.

[/quote']

It is actually well known that they force water into the hubs, especially on the casette side where most hubs are protected only by a wiper seal and not a labyrinth and wiper seal.

Even driving with the bike on a roofrack in the rain forces water in there. One rainstorm on the roof equals one service.

Seals on hubs are surprisingly tight, evident from trying to spin a hub not yet built into a wheel. However, the friction produced by seal drag is negligible in the overall scheme of things.

Bornman! DO I have to explain everything to you?

Why don't you just take a chill pill. Seriously, do you get off to the fact that you think you are the "know it all" of cycling. Why don't you try and be nice sometime. Comes across very hipocritical when you are all smiley on TV and then act like you do on the hub.

You should hear what people say about you when you not listening. I guess no one has had the nerve to tell you in the case you hold a grudge against them for the next decade, so I thought I would get it over with early on on this forum. If you don't agree with what I say then give us your opinion, but sarcastic and rude remarks you will do best to keep to yourself.
The_Break2008-02-29 09:35:34

Ok, then I'll be the first to say something NICE about JB.

I feel for you, and I appreciate your input. Unlike most hubbers who simply say "Do not use wax based lube", you'll say "do not use wax based lube because ..... And to demonstrate that this is true you can do ....." That's REAL input. It's better than people saying: "Wax lube is $hit. Don't use it"

Sometimes I've seen him get sarcastic about people following media hype. I feel for him. In my line of work there's also a lot of media hype, and people believe it all without THINKING about it beforehand. I'm not a fundi on the REAL technicalities behind cycling gear, and I appreciate it when JB points out media hype and EXPLAINS why it's not true.

As for him being sarcastic about general posts: Well, look how everyone is flaming him when he's giving HIS opinion [he has a right to post his opnion just like everyone else]. And when he disagrees with someone [and gives hard FACTS] people start flaming him up. :-/ I feel [and this is MY opinion] that most of his sarcasm can be justified.

JB, keep on posting.

my 2 cents. Flames are now offically open against me.

Now where have I placed my coat....

I don't have a problem with opinion or fact, but I do have a problem when it is conveyed with an attitude that inadvertantly breaks people down. Luckily I am flame proof. However, what an attitude like that does is cause the not so outspoken people to keep quiet in the event that they get flamed. We all have a lot to offer and if we were considerate to others and acted kindly toward each other then there would be so much more we could learn.

One more thing I know is that people who are secure in themselves and what they know will go about giving advice and if the advice is consistently accurate then people will grow to respect that person and that is when the advice is very valuable. However, insecure people often feel the need, mostly unwittingly, to force their opinion on others or shut them up so that they feel they are needed or respected. Unfortunately, people mostly take a dislike to this and then there is no way you will want to take advice from them, even if they are right.

It all comes down to respect. People will go to the ends of the earth with you if they trust and respect you.

The_Break,

How does a chain stretch? 

I would really appreciate an explanation because I really don't know. 

Regards,

casspir

The_Break' date='

How does a chain stretch? 

I would really appreciate an explanation because I really don't know. 

Regards,

casspir
[/quote']

Ask Johan Boringman...

First time I ever saw him on TV, he said: (in heavy afrikaans accent) 'you cant stretch a chain'.

bob_the_builder2008-02-29 11:41:27