Modders

Li Mu Bai

I have to agree with Plentipotential. It's brilliant to see the springbok, black wildebeest, blesbok and zebras, as well as the resident long-crested eagle, on almost every visit. Trails are in good nick and new ones have been cut recently. There's a huge amount of single track. Signage still hasn't been sorted out but isn't a major issue.

At R28 a ride (average cost using multi-entry ticket) it is a bargain, and good to know that money goes to EWT for the nature reserve, not only to MTB trails.

Looking forward to another fun Kia night race on Wed, even if there is mud!

• 4 months later...

I rode Modders Red this morning after many months of trying out different trails.

WOW!!! Ride Free has done an amazing job.

Excellent new trails have been cut, route marking is very clear. Lots of signs for dangers etc (maybe too many). Those old bumpy jeep tracks have been cut away and feel like a highway.

The red is now 42kms and flows very nicely. New bridges, obstacles and highlights.

Great tables and umbrellas at the entrance and a bike wash (although the guys could be a little more thorough).

It is really great to see Modders in such fine form. Keep it up!

• 4 weeks later...

Done it a few times and love it, the routes can be confusing but it all part of the fun, we enjoy the parking, toilets and restaurant after the ride. Bit far to do this each weekend though coming from Vereeniging but hey it makes a change. Thanks Modders.

Modderfontein is great..bathrooms are super clean, restaurants food is good and I just love to ride there. Trails are very well maintained and the area is super clean..

• 5 weeks later...

Road Modders today. I like the new red route.

Rode the red route two weeks back. I also enjoy riding there. It flows nicely. The routes are well marked etc.

One can pick up some serious pace on those last 4 km's before you cross that bridge.

Edited by Muggins

Rode the red route two weeks back. I also enjoy riding there. It flows nicely. The routes are well marked etc.

One can pick up some serious pace on those last 4 km's before you cross that bridge.

My max speed was 58kph, but we weren't rally pushing it.

If one comes off on those jeep tracks at the end you will get some serious gravel rash.

When I rode there two weeks back I was on those jeep tracks at the end doing roughly 50 km/hr. I was on the left side minding my own business when two guys came flying past me. I didn't know they were behind me and got such a fright I nearly jumped out my cycling pants.