Specialized shock service prices

sharkysa

Hi Guys, I have a 2014 Specialized Epic which I got in December. Done about 30 hours on the road with this and then around another 30 hours off road this year. Does this mean that the Brain is due it's 50 hour service or can I push to 50 hours off road?

thats 60 hours ? My maths ok

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite right, but only 30 hours were off-road - does that make any difference?

• 3 months later...

Just got my Marathon back from a 150h service and was surprised to see that the rear shock (and brain) was not mine when I got my bike back. When I questioned this, my LBS was told by Specialized that they just swop it out for a refurbished unit. I understand the principle of service and turn-around time, but I would really have liked to be informed (and given the option) about this before the shock went in for a service. So now a person buys a brand new bike and after 150h of riding he gets a crappy old shock back after he sends his new bike in for a service. This is absolute nonsense!! Not happy about this at all. Is there anything I can do about it....probably not. Would I buy Specialized again....probably not.

Just got my Marathon back from a 150h service and was surprised to see that the rear shock (and brain) was not mine when I got my bike back. When I questioned this, my LBS was told by Specialized that they just swop it out for a refurbished unit. I understand the principle of service and turn-around time, but I would really have liked to be informed (and given the option) about this before the shock went in for a service. So now a person buys a brand new bike and after 150h of riding he gets a crappy old shock back after he sends his new bike in for a service. This is absolute nonsense!! Not happy about this at all. Is there anything I can do about it....probably not. Would I buy Specialized again....probably not.

That doesn't sound right. The Brain on your bike is your property, unless it is explicitly explained to you that the Brain remains the property of Spez. I'd insist on my part back if I were you, but it's probably on some other bike now. 

I was told by the guys at Specialized Ceder Square that for the Major service the shock would be swapped out. I was also given the option to get mine back but would then be a two week turnaround.

That doesn't sound right. The Brain on your bike is your property, unless it is explicitly explained to you that the Brain remains the property of Spez. I'd insist on my part back if I were you, but it's probably on some other bike now. 

Thanks. Will take it up with Specialized and see what they say. It just puts a bitter taste to my whole experience. One day ago I was a proud and happy owner of a really awesome bike and now I feel like I have a cheap "left-overs" bike.

Thanks. Will take it up with Specialized and see what they say. It just puts a bitter taste to my whole experience. One day ago I was a proud and happy owner of a really awesome bike and now I feel like I have a cheap "left-overs" bike.

Fark that!! Definitely won't accept..

Are you saying that the replacement brain is not working and/or damaged? I totally agree this should have been explained upfront and you must take the shop to task on this. But it would be a shame for you to not love your epic anymore, she didn't cheat on you, it's not her fault, promise.

I was told by the guys at Specialized Ceder Square that for the Major service the shock would be swapped out. I was also given the option to get mine back but would then be a two week turnaround.

When was this? Was that on a brain fork or a standard fork?

About 8 months ago. And was specific to the brain service. (I'm referring to the shock, you saying fork?) They keep the brain and shock together as a unit. So the swap out would be for both I assume. I say assume because I changed to the Camber before this major service.

• 1 year later...

Ok so let's see if I got this. I am about to get a brand new camber it has no brain , do I still have to service the shocks both of em fox after 50 hrs and if so does it have to be the spez dudes? Surely the shocks are the same fox as any other mtb?. So why does it have to be done by them?.

Also my last mtb I rode for 3 years and never ever serviced the shocks , they operated brilliantly and reliably also fox. Is this service story a scam????

Folks as far as I know the 50 hr service is only after new and should be on the house. At least mine have been. After that every 150 hrs is what they suggest. However I send mine in every year, so the service interval is longer than that on mine. I agree with the, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Also in my experience the 1500 is for the brain shocks only. If you don't have a brain fork that should cost around 800.

Archived