Cutting a carbon steerer??????

McFlats

Hi Hubbers.

I need some advise. I have just received my rigid carbon fork for my SS but the steerer is WAAYYYYY too long. Any idea on what is the best way to cut the steerer, what to use, does anyone know of risks in doing this etc. Etc.

Dont want to C#*k up my brand new fork.

Thanks!!!

Fine blade hacksaw and masking tape around the steerer where cutting

Do not use a pipe cutter, that will crush the carbon as it cuts and split the laminations.

Fine blade hacksaw and masking tape around the steerer where cutting

Do not use a pipe cutter, that will crush the carbon as it cuts and split the laminations.

Thanks for the advise, will i need to "file" down the tue at all or will this cause the fibers to split once the tube is cut??

I used an old stem as a guide to cut straight with a hacksaw, then used sandpaper to a smooth finish.

Or you can ask your neighbour for a dwarf's saw and sit for 40 minutes hacking away. :whistling:

Pity, could have done it for you in the shop tomorrow. Out east though.

If I dont come right with it over the weekend, I will contact you next week. Im often out East for work and can schedule a "meeting" your side. thanks

I used an old stem as a guide to cut straight with a hacksaw, then used sandpaper to a smooth finish.

Thanks Guys!!! Feeling a little happier about this now!! thought I was in for some serious PT on this one!! Sounds simple enough!!!

First rule, which hasn't been mentioned, is measure, measure again, and then measure again, then cut. Remember, you can always cut a piece off, but you can't cut a piece on...

Measure twice, cut once. Put a hose clamp around the steerer below the cut to guide your saw or use a proper steerer cutting tool.

A word of warning: carbon dust is dangerous, especially if it includes nanotubes - the fibres have the same effect as asbestos fibres. Wear a mask and get rid of the dust safely afterwards. See: http://sams.scientificamerican.com/article/carbon-nanotube-danger/